• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So many issues, too little time! Mutoh 1614

Fit2Win

I have 4 Mutoh 1614's. On 2 of them I'm experiencing repeated banding. I've had service tech's come in and do virtually every sort of cleaning available. New ink cartridges, new dampers, new print head even! I've been able to maintain a consistent humidity of around 45-55%.

The other torment I've been dealing with is the media. At somepoint a mountain appears and we experience headstrikes. I may have found some sort of solution there by turning the heaters on but at least once a day it still happens. I've been working on these printers since last October and have never experienced these kinds of problems until recently.

Any solution out there, that I may be missing?:help

HaroldDesign

I run the 1604. Is the PF adjust is dead on? Regarding the material buckling, I've found that lowering the pre & platen heaters helps. Some stocks simply don't run all that well, and raising the head height sometimes does wonders.

Fit2Win

Thanks for your tip!
I've done the PF adjustments with tech's here. I'll try lowering the heat a bit but with no heat it seems worse. We generally always print with the head on high, even though we have consistent humidity.

Our tech's put turned the heaters off about mid May and the problem began 1st week of June. Baltimore (like everyone) has had a hot summer, I'm not sure if the outside environment is truly impacting the atmosphere in our printroom.

CS-SignSupply-TT

Here's food for thought! Your media is delivered via truck and rarely are the trucks climate controlled. Therefore, humidity is going to be absorbed into the rolls. Not sure what steps can be taken to draw out the humidity, once the media gets to your shop. Perhaps a seperate de-humidifier would help. But, I am not sure how much time is required to remove sufficient moisture. And, as always, in a production environment, time is money

HaroldDesign

Oops - I noticed your humidity posted in your first (I should have re-read earlier). Above 47 seems to be getting pretty high.

CheapVehicleWrap

Here's food for thought! Your media is delivered via truck and rarely are the trucks climate controlled. Therefore, humidity is going to be absorbed into the rolls. Not sure what steps can be taken to draw out the humidity, once the media gets to your shop. Perhaps a seperate de-humidifier would help. But, I am not sure how much time is required to remove sufficient moisture. And, as always, in a production environment, time is money

This SINGLE post will now have Frank changing all his trucks to refers.

How old are these 4 machines?

Fit2Win

We've learned a great deal with letting the media get acclimated to our environment. We remove the sides and open the plastic. It normally gets a few days (4-5) to get settled before we use it.

Thank you to all for your assistance!

-Amanda @ Fit2Win

Fit2Win

Our oldest and definetely our problem child was purhcased in October 2010. The 2nd came at the end of February and 3 & 4 were purchased in May.

This past July we also purchased 4 Mimaki JV33. Which of course are performing beautifully, but everything works great out of the gate!

randya

I have had success on transfer paper by removing some of the outside rollers and letting the media expand out for head strikes. I am running a total of 8 hold down rollers on one of my machines. Enough for accurate media transport on Beaver 105 gsf.
This allows me to run low or medium head heights.

Banding typically is PF adjust, but it depends on the type of banding.
PF for dot gain banding. You really should do a PF adjust with the media connected to the take up if you normally run the take up.

But you can have chromatic banding (which doesnt appear to affect dye sub due to the nature of sublimation.
I have seen quite a bit of nozzle drop out with various ink sets, but this is usually one color or two.

Vertical banding can show up due to media cockling.

Maybe a pic or a good description would help.

You really should do a PF adjust with the media connected to the take up if you normally run the take up.

Last edited:

Fit2Win

Well for the one printhead (#1) we're stuck leaving that for servicing. We used some alcohol on the printhead for the other one we had been experiencing problems with. Seems successful the past few days.

Thanks for everyones contributions on this one!