• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

so much for a productive day...

chadalicious

this is not the first time our Mimaki JV5 has done this... maybe it's happened to you too?

things here are pretty slow, so I don't do a whole lot of printing. because we don't do a ton of prints, the black ink doesn't go too fast (and it's rare that I do prints that use 100% black in large amounts). last time I looked at my ink levels, both blacks were at 4 out of 5, yet the screen kept telling me both inks were at their limit. I called my tech and asked him why one would read 4 and the other would tell me "ink limit". he couldn't help and suggested turning the power off, remove the cartridges in question and reboot the machine. I tried that and it didn't help.

anyways, I planned to make today my print day, as now I have plenty of stuff I need to print. I turned the machine on, got everything set up to go and get the beeps telling me something isn't right... now the printer tells me both blacks are empty! I remove the cartridges, and both of them are nearly full! the only thing I can figure is that the stupid expiration date on the cartridges is for July 2012. the machine finally decided those cartridges were done and are now "empty". and of course, because things are slow, I don't have a back supply of inks. so now, as my title to this post says, my productive day has just taken a dump on me... and it smells like poo in here! GRRRRRRRR!!!

I know I should have had inks to replace them with, but when you have a machine with 16 ink cartridges, it gets expensive to keep eight full cartridges in stock... and usually I keep on eye on my ink levels and order more when they are low.

touche, Mimaki, touche.
Mimaki - 2, me - 0

Masseria

Ok, i dont know what kind of catrdige you are using...
I use Bulk system (1 lts bulk per color in MMCCYYKK) in a jv33 but i think cartridges work the same way.
For mimaki jv33, working with 4 colors bulksystem + rasterlink pro5sg.
There is a chip in the catrdige that tells the machine how many % of ink it has. these reduce itself along with the production, if the chip is not working properly, it needs to be changed... complete catridge or chip only, depends on the system you are using....

machine doesnt know what % of ink for real is in the cartridge.... so you may refill them when they are empty, but if chip is still in 0% it wont work.... this is because the chips tells to the machine how many ink left on the cartridge...
(several chips can be recharged but better to buy unlimited if using bulk system)
Maybe you can try using unlimited chips, if using bulk systems, or trying to solve the chip situation with mimaki people...
There are several problems when making some repairs or filling up the machine of ink with the chip, this get confused... and sometimes discount more % that real ink used...
These is the solution for the problem that i understand you have..

Sorry for my english and hope it helps.

WB

if you have any old carts.. you can take the chip out (maybe) and replace them on the new ones to get you buy.. if the date goes on the carts then your done.. had it happen to me a few years ago. Luckily I had some older ones in the garbage I could grab and get by with.. still ended up losing most of the ink..

Masseria

did you solve the situation?
there is also an option in Mimakis' software in the machine (using a jv33 but might be same as jv5)
that you can make the cartridge work with Exp. date or Chip date.