• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So now that I've scratched the glass...

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
Used hardware store razor blades on old vinyl glass door lettering. Didn't realize I scratched the glass until just about sunset and then :eek:
Two questions -
Does anyone have experience buffing out scratches in glass? What have you used? What hasn't worked?
Where do y'all get your stainless steel razor blades?

SignosaurusRex

I'm guessing that you razored the glass without lube ...soapy water? Dry razoring will result in scratches almost always, even with stainless steel blades.
At this point, the best you can hope for is to wax the glass.

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
I have had a lot of luck with Novus Scratch Remover (won't do anything deep though). Bonus is you can pick it up at your local Wally Mart or Home Depot.

jtiii

I'm guessing that you razored the glass without lube ...soapy water? Dry razoring will result in scratches almost always, even with stainless steel blades.
At this point, the best you can hope for is to wax the glass.
I cleaned the window first and sprayed foaming window cleaner on the letters before scraping. I might not have been using enough at first though. I think it was mostly the ACE hardware blades.

jtiii

Yikes they're proud of that stuff.

Just Google cerium oxide for glass. Lots of places sell complete polishing kits for about 20 bucks.
Thank you. Any opinion about whether I should get a polishing pad to put on a drill or do it by hand?

Z SIGNS

Sorry this happened to you. Fouling up a job and learning a lesson is right of passage in any trade.
In days of old 60's/70's it was hard to scratch glass with the available blades.
The blades of today are different. More carbon in them.

netsol

Sorry this happened to you. Fouling up a job and learning a lesson is right of passage in any trade.
In days of old 60's/70's it was hard to scratch glass with the available blades.
The blades of today are different. More carbon in them.
I am surprised, all the drill bits are chinese metal, getting cheaper and softer

Adam Vreeke

Knows just enough to get in a lot of trouble..
Is that the three part stuff?
I believe it is supposed to be used as like a sand paper, take out heavy with 3 , go to 2, then polish with 1. We only use #2 though, and if it doesn't work we reprint.