• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So sad

fmg

Just got a post from a friend in London ON f/b who just walked past the site where a sign just fell off the front of the store and killed a passer by.
This is a pic she just took.
How sad for the person. Lawsuit is surely looming but who would be responsible the sign company or the owner of the building.

Attachments

• 338900_10151214642907536_1638421253_o.jpg
    338900_10151214642907536_1638421253_o.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 81

genericname

Depends if it was installed correctly. I'd normally say there's no doubt the building owner has liability insurance, but looking at the state of that building? Eeeeeesh.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just got a post from a friend in London ON f/b who just walked past the site where a sign just fell off the front of the store and killed a passer by.
This is a pic she just took.
How sad for the person. Lawsuit is surely looming but who would be responsible the sign company or the owner of the building.

Responsibility will be assigned according to who has the most money.

fmg

this is how it looked before the collapse

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    9.3 KB · Views: 77

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes, very sad, indeed.

Looks like it was a backlit awning. I would say what bob has written is the most accurate, unless it was a rather recent installation. Here's hoping all the permits and regulations were followed and no hacks were involved.

fmg

William Hill is a national chain of betting shops.Most likely they would use a reputable company to produce the sign, not sure if they would get a local company to do the install.
I am very familiar with these store front signs in the UK and due to the nature of the building and how they affix the signs,
this could have been caused by some rotting that was occurring behind the sign and on the building.

David Wright

That is the nightmare for anyone who installs or builds anything.

Sometimes I will wake in the middle of the night to high wind sounds and have trouble falling back to sleep. Never as confident in AM hours as I am other times.

Is the satellite dish in the picture the next thing to go?

Marlene

was that an awning or was that a false front with a sign on it? it looks liek raw wood behind it too. how long was this up? any news on what went wrong? that looks like a lot of sign to come down. it is sad that someone was killed by this. that's everyone's nightmare for sure when it comes to installing

well...i guess its time to ban signs...they are just too dangerous
congrats on getting the a-hole of the day award. we are talking about signs on a sign website but you just can't leave things alone.

Kev41

These type of signs consist of a sign tray normally 3mm aluminium which in this case looks to me mounted on to a wooden frame sometimes it will be mounted to aluminium angle, then it as an illuminated sign case mounted to it. Regards to responsibility i state on install invoices that yearly maintenance and inspection is required as any product that is installed outside in all weather conditions. Unfortunately some of the wood that can be seen in the picture could be as old as the building (Circa 1920-30s) and would have originally been part of the original shop sign which was built as part of the building and meant that it was totally integrated into the building including being water tight. Now the problem occurs when they rip these old signs off just leaving the structural timbers behind. In an ideal world they should close off the opening with structural ply board, water proof & then fit the signage, this isn't always done due to bad ethic's or financial constraints etc. Problems then occur when water starts to leak behind the sign tray causing the previously very dry untreated wood to soak up water like a sponge eventually rotting. As regards to permits etc most signage in the UK doesn't require any we do have building control and planning but if a building has had a sign previously then they don't normally get involved.

Its only just happened here so not many facts at the moment apart from it being a very young man if anything further comes up will try to post an update

Kev

fmg

A lot of these store front signs in UK have a wooden frame structure that is affixed to the brick wall surface.The signs are typically a bent Dibond/Alupanel pan sign that is mounted over the wooden frame.'I have seen some of the frames turn to rot due to the damp weather and corroding brickwork.
It's a wonder how this has not happened more frequently
Just saw your post like you said Kev.Pretty much sums up what I described on how they are made and affixed.Thanks for pointing this out.

Marlene

looks like the sign was up for 10 years which would have given it plenty of time to let water in behind the sign, as suggested in another post.

signage

looks like the sign was up for 10 years which would have given it plenty of time to let water in behind the sign, as suggested in another post.

So if you installed this sign 10 years ago, and the owner never did any maintenance who is responsible for it falling down?