• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So what does a bad wiper do?

Flame

Hey guys, just curious on something. What are the grounds to replace a new wiper? What does a worn out wiper do to your machine? It's not that expensive of a piece, I guess I just am not knowledgable enough here, to understand it's full duty.

So, how do you know when it's bad.....what does it do.....how often should I be replacing them? I've never really known, just went hit and miss.

Appreciate your time guys/gals :)

sfr table hockey

I tend to clean mine every time it wipes the heads and gets ink on it. So mine stays quite clean and never gets dried up ink on it.

If you ever get a nick in the top edge that would be a reason to replace, or if the wiper looses the stiffness in it and does not press against the head evenly or looks really warped and not nice and straight.

I replaced my waterbased printers wipers with a solvent one and never had an issue there either. The waterbased black ones got floppy and curled where I have yet to see my solvent wipers go bad.

Just my findings.

Flame

For diagnostic purposes....how can you tell if it really needs replaced? Does it just not clean the head well and there's a lot of gunk on there? Do you notice poor quality prints? etc.

sfr table hockey

Again these are just my thoughts, but if right after the wiper does a clean and you can look under the heads with a flashlight and if you see any streaks of ink lines on the head then the wiper is not cleaning it propper. This could also be build up of ink on the edges of the head lifting the wiper as it crosses over the head.

But if that happens I would think in your test print you would first see some deflection on some of the jets (whatever you would call them). Then as it got worse you may see your prints getting worse. If a test print is perfect and the bottom of the heads look clean then I would thing the wiper is still doing its job.

Flame

Anyone have good suggestions on a good place to buy them? Regular supplier wants $30 shipping for a wiper....

yahhhhhhhhhh

Sticky Signs

Can't say for sure on a mutoh, but on my roland, bad/dirty wiper blades usually leads to ink drops on the media among other problems. Don't know where to buy them but I'd say that if your asking for help, than it's time for some new ones.

FatCat

Flame, I also have a 1204 and you'll want to replace the wiper every 6-12 months or if there is any damage (knicks, cuts) etc. Usually they will become soft and mushy after being exposed to the solvents for a while and don't do as good of job wiping the head.

*BTW - I've bought several generics off of ebay (blue ones) and they work fine. No need to spend big bucks on such a simple little part.