• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So... what is a domain worth?

Kottwitz-Graphics

I have come across an elderly sign man that is selling off his shop, and I bought his collection of sign craft mags, and when I was spending some time with him, he mentioned his site. It's a great domain name, and I would like to try to buy it from him. It expires at the end of the month, and he offered it to me, just wants me to make an offer. (In the course of the conversation, he said $150)...

Is $150 a fair price to pay?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I wouldn't the name here were I you.

If you like the name, if it fits your business, if it is a .com extension, and if it is easy to remember and enter correctly ... then $150 is probably a fair to good price for you.

Biker Scout

Shoot... some company is cyber squatting and holding my .com hostage for $1500. Some days, I'm considering it.

phototec

I have come across an elderly sign man that is selling off his shop, and I bought his collection of sign craft mags, and when I was spending some time with him, he mentioned his site. It's a great domain name, and I would like to try to buy it from him. It expires at the end of the month, and he offered it to me, just wants me to make an offer. (In the course of the conversation, he said $150)...

Is $150 a fair price to pay?

Maybe, however that is up to you!

Only you know the worth, we don't have a clue about the details and if the domain name meets all the requirements?

Good luck!

:smile:

Trip59

I had a few that I registered, common alternate/misspelling of a company I had a few years back. Guy in Australia messaged me and asked to buy them, as they weren't the exact spelling of my name, but were of his. He offered $500 for the pair, I took it. I've tried to buy a few that related to other ventures/client ventures and saw prices starting at $1k each. You can go online and search, you'll find a number of services offering price estimates based on length of time registered, ease of use, traffic and search hits, etc. but in all honesty, if you like the name and it's relevant to your business, $150 can be a steal.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Why not just wait till the end of the month and register it yourself?

Not quite that simple. Even after expiration of the registration there is a redemption period. ultimately it is up the registrar as to when they ultimately make an expired domain publicly available again. Plus - if he does not buy it the seller will probably just renew it for another year to make certain he does not lose it. It's only ten bucks or so.

WCSign

I would easily pay $150 for a good name.
Yeah definitely!

Not quite that simple. Even after expiration of the registration there is a redemption period. ultimately it is up the registrar as to when they ultimately make an expired domain publicly available again. Plus - if he does not buy it the seller will probably just renew it for another year to make certain he does not lose it. It's only ten bucks or so.

+1

Kottwitz-Graphics

And when i read up on it, it goes to an auction type of scenerio. If that happens, i read that itcan go for a lot more than the $150.

And i am going to withhold the domain name for now. I will say that the name is a .com and the address is an easy to remember site, and it is spelled out, with no goofy spellings of words. It would work great for anyoneinthesign business, and i dont want it to get snatched.

royster13

Shoot... some company is cyber squatting and holding my .com hostage for $1500. Some days, I'm considering it.

1,500.00 is almost nothing in the scheme of things......You should buy it before it get more expensive and harder to get in the future....

JgS

$150 is a good price if you want it. Someone offered me $700 for one I had once.

knucklehead

A lady I know wants to make an engraving website, and ask me about a name. I googled 'metal engraving', found metalengraving.com = $25,000.00. Buck and a half sounds reasonable.

TammieH

Like a lot of things, it is worth what someone will pay for it.

There are two brothers buying up domain names for the up and coming marijuana industry, I think there are hundreds of names they own already.

Anyway they are buying up any name that could be used and planning on selling them to whomever.