• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

So, what is it you want.......??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Start by saying, I didn't set this up as a poll, but maybe I should've :​

In the last few years or so, many members post up work for critique, requests for information on obtaining equipment or supplies and many how do you do this or that threads.

• How does anyone feel about answering honestly ??
  • How does anyone feel sugarcoating answers ??
  • How does anyone feel being sarcastic ??
  • How does anyone feel about staying on topic ??
  • How does anyone feel giving wrong advise, purposely ??
  • How does anyone feel being objective ??
  • How does anyone feel saying anything that flies into their head with no regards for factual content ??
    [*]How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ??

There are more scenarios, but this should suffice to get started. Seeing the same conversations take place day after day with only a word here or there changed, the storylines remain rather the same.

Just curious.

:thankyou:

Marlene

In the last few years or so, many members post up work for critique, requests for information on obtaining equipment or supplies and many how do you do this or that threads.

• How does anyone feel saying anything that flies into their head with no regards for factual content ??
    [*]How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ??

There are more scenarios, but this should suffice to get started. Seeing the same conversations take place day after day with only a word here or there changed, the storylines remain rather the same.

Just curious.

I try to answer honestly but soem times it goes into the sugar coating or sarcastic. the sugar coating is more being kind to those who are really trying on a design. the sarcastic saved for those who get snarky with people who are just trying to help by giving them the feed back they asked for.

I would never give the wrong advice on purpose.

going off topic happens and is no big deal unless going off is a slug fest and nothing more

I don't give info that flies into my head and when I do give an idea for installing or whatever it is based on what I have done that I know works

I hate non-sign people be allowed to ask us questions on a site for sign people. hobby people have hobby sites and you won't see me on one of their sites picking their brains as to how to build a bend over lady lawn decoration

PRS Bryan

Apparently there has not been enough conflict lately, so lets make a thread about conflict for us to argue about.

Andy D

I believe in being honest but tactful, some of the things I see people
say to each other here and other forums, just make me shake my head...
I hope they don't treat people like that in real life.... Too much drama.

Don't care, conversations take their own paths.

People do this?

Nothing wrong with throwing an idea or a "what if" out there as long as you don't sell it as fact.

• How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ??

Don't care, I'm here on earth to help my fellow man.

Billct2

I usually try to make my response/suggestion and let it go at that without getting into a debate.
But sometimes I can't help myself.

papabud

Lone Wolf
well for me. i believe in education and being able to share the things i have learned.
You never know where life will take you. I know i didn't plan this as a career path. it just kind of evolved to be.
With that said i will never give someone false information that i know is false. I am the first to tell people i am always learning something new. I love the exchange of ideas with other people and some of the best ideas i have received have came from people outside of the sign/graphics arena.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

Some say yes and some say no while there are always a few wishy-washy souls that will say maybe.

Sounds about right. We're a forum and people come here seeking help.

How does anyone feel about answering honestly ??

Sounds like the best policy. :rolleyes:

How does anyone feel sugarcoating answers ??

Not necessary, nor is rudeness.

How does anyone feel being sarcastic ??

Sarcasm is best reserved for those we know and who know us.

How does anyone feel about staying on topic ??

Why start now?

How does anyone feel giving wrong advise, purposely ??

Bad idea especially if it could lead to financial loss and/or bad feelings.

How does anyone feel being objective ??

Slightly better than subjective.

How does anyone feel saying anything that flies into their head with no regards for factual content ??

Depends on the potential for causing harm or loss.

How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ??

How do you feel about clicking on the Report a Post button and letting an Admin evaluate the conclusion you've reached. As you know, we screen out end users, miscreaants and other non-professionals in our registration process.

Just curious.

Gino, the world has changed since Signs 101 began and so have we. For openers, members these days are much more diverse, internationally based, and varied in both experience, knowledge and goals. Lots of folks find us because of Google or other search engines. Many who register are not highly experienced at finding their way around a board with over a million posts, much less being able to compose good questions, use search engines or even understand English ... yet they still meet our membership criteria. This criteria calls for them to either be or want to be professional sign makers. Many of these folks may not fit your definition of a sign shop. They might be commercial printers, web designers, photographers etc. who are making signs as part of their business. The rule we use that separates them is whether or not they are dealing with an end user and charging them for what they do.

papabud

Lone Wolf
fred thats is a good standard to use for membership.
I have a long history in commercial printing. where wide format was just something we did in a corner.
My current job is not a sign shop or a printshop.
i work for a dealership that sells vehicle graphics as an add on service.
this forum has been a great asset for myself over the years.
As our business grows we are growing into a more stand alone business with in a business.

Always try to answer as honestly to the best of my knowledge as others do.

Shouldn't have to. If you can't take the honest truth then your not really looking for it. If you want someone to lie to you ask your wife her opinion. (It looks great honey)

One of the things that separates us from the animals. If you can't understand sarcasm remove stick.

Would be nice. Thought sometimes a discussion will lead to other things. Still would be nice to make sure the OP questions get answered.

Shame on you. Anyone purposely leading people down the wrong path should be removed from the site.

You need to be sometimes. Sometimes someone can only see one side of it or is too closely involved to see the whole picture. Just playing devils advocate to be an A$$ though is not very nice. People want straightforward answers to their hopefully straightforward questions.

This should be limited, though if everyone would contribute to the best of their knowledge someone should put them into check eventually.

• How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ??
How could you guarantee that anyone is a sign person. I guess you could check business license, proof of income, something like that but many of these people do this as a second job in their spare time. It would be hard to verify everyone and then you might be kicking people out that still have a lot to offer this forum. Don't wanna give out any extra tips but in the end there is not a ton here that you couldn't find other places. Just not with a community to back it all up.

Just curious.

ya

Nelson Newbie

attachment.php

Attachments

• Stirring the Pot2.jpg
    Stirring the Pot2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 92

decalman

My views 101

A) Sarcasm can be wonderful, and a good tool, and used as to not to be hostile, but comically.

B) Honesty is not to be debated.

C) Sugar coating is what false gospel ministers do, to gain adherents, and its totally dishonest.
Give the unadulterated truth in most instances.

To hold back the truth, is the same as lying.

D) The rule is... No outsiders ( people not in the business) to gain entrance to sign 101.
I agree. Very good policy.

E) As for going off subject.....It's great to see where things can go,
Why be narrow minded on this.
Some sleepy subjects can really come quite alive when segway happens.

skyhigh

• How does anyone feel about answering honestly ?? Always
  • How does anyone feel sugarcoating answers ?? Let me have it
  • How does anyone feel being sarcastic ?? Why not (but back at ya)
  • How does anyone feel about staying on topic ?? (oh hell, why start now)
  • How does anyone feel giving wrong advise, purposely ?? scum !!!!
  • How does anyone feel being objective ?? I'm working on it.
  • How does anyone feel saying anything that flies into their head with no regards for factual content ?? (shaking head)
    [*]How does anyone feel for giving information to non-sign people pretending to be sign people ?? no

My pet peeve, is the person that will give definitive advice on literally every subject, based mostly on opinion rather than actual real life experience. While not the same as "purposely" giving wrong advice, it can cause the same end results.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Soooooo................. I've been watching some threads, participating in other and have come to the conclusion, y'all wrote baloney in this thread.

• Most of these people don't want honesty...... they say they do, but they really don't. It's just human nature. It's all about fixing MY problems and fixing them NOW, my way or shut up.
  • Most of them want everything sugarcoated.... OR ELSE.
  • Most like the sarcasm. They seem to thrive on it.... or expect it.
  • No one seems to pay attention to the topic, but input their own set of problems with little to nothing to do with the OP in almost any given thread.
  • Still see a lot of advise with no regards for it being tried, true or honest.
  • Barely a morsel of being objective, it's still all about me..... me...... me......
  • Still seems like things flying around in the air and people ask the dumbest things and others answer with the dumbest things. A good fit, I suppose.
  • As for the last one...... I guess do as the Romans when in Rome..........................

Carry on............................ :ROFLMAO:​

Nelson Newbie

Soooooo................. I've been watching some threads, participating in other and have come to the conclusion, y'all wrote baloney in this thread.

• Most of these people don't want honesty...... they say they do, but they really don't. It's just human nature. It's all about fixing MY problems and fixing them NOW, my way or shut up.
  • Most of them want everything sugarcoated.... OR ELSE.
  • Most like the sarcasm. They seem to thrive on it.... or expect it.
  • No one seems to pay attention to the topic, but input their own set of problems with little to nothing to do with the OP in almost any given thread.
  • Still see a lot of advise with no regards for it being tried, true or honest.
  • Barely a morsel of being objective, it's still all about me..... me...... me......
  • Still seems like things flying around in the air and people ask the dumbest things and others answer with the dumbest things. A good fit, I suppose.
  • As for the last one...... I guess do as the Romans when in Rome..........................

Carry on............................ :ROFLMAO:​

attachment.php

Attachments

• youre not stupid.jpg
    youre not stupid.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 93

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck at all.

However, the fact still remain. :bookworm

OldPaint

iam here for the FUN............of it...........seeing as i am a know it all(71 years will cause this).......its really funny some of the stuff i see here...ASKED, when its been common knowledge to me for many years..........
and there is BOB.........he know more then me..........heheheheehehehehe
i usually try to answer questions but also add some humor to it........

Gino

Premium Subscriber
[/INDENT]
Some say yes and some say no while there are always a few wishy-washy souls that will say maybe.

Sounds about right. We're a forum and people come here seeking help.

Sounds like the best policy. :rolleyes:
Not necessary, nor is rudeness.

Sarcasm is best reserved for those we know and who know us.

Why start now?

Bad idea especially if it could lead to financial loss and/or bad feelings.

Slightly better than subjective.

Depends on the potential for causing harm or loss.

How do you feel about clicking on the Report a Post button and letting an Admin evaluate the conclusion you've reached. As you know, we screen out end users, miscreaants and other non-professionals in our registration process.

Gino, the world has changed since Signs 101 began and so have we. For openers, members these days are much more diverse, internationally based, and varied in both experience, knowledge and goals. Lots of folks find us because of Google or other search engines. Many who register are not highly experienced at finding their way around a board with over a million posts, much less being able to compose good questions, use search engines or even understand English ... yet they still meet our membership criteria. This criteria calls for them to either be or want to be professional sign makers. Many of these folks may not fit your definition of a sign shop. They might be commercial printers, web designers, photographers etc. who are making signs as part of their business. The rule we use that separates them is whether or not they are dealing with an end user and charging them for what they do.

Your words, not mine. Seems like someone has gotten up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, speaking of cliches........

You bring a whole new discussion to the forum. One which no one here has asked or even obsessed about, except for you. I'm sure you don't wanna go there, as I don't. So thank you for asking, but no thanks.

TimToad

A) Sarcasm can be wonderful, and a good tool, and used as to not to be hostile, but comically.

B) Honesty is not to be debated.

C) Sugar coating is what false gospel ministers do, to gain adherents, and its totally dishonest.
Give the unadulterated truth in most instances.

To hold back the truth, is the same as lying.

D) The rule is... No outsiders ( people not in the business) to gain entrance to sign 101.
I agree. Very good policy.

E) As for going off subject.....It's great to see where things can go,
Why be narrow minded on this.
Some sleepy subjects can really come quite alive when segway happens.

http://www.liberalamerica.org/2016/...ve-and-have-greater-psychological-well-being/

Bigdawg

Just Me
I want ice cream.

Oh... that's not what you meant :tongue:

Fred nailed it. The board has changed over the years - some good ways... some not so good ways. But the bottom line is (I think... personal opinion to follow) that we are a sign resource for the world. Yep. The whole wide world. And as signs become an offshoot of so many other related businesses, we will see those with zero knowledge base trying to do the right thing. Gone are the apprenticeship days... of having to know how to paint... of having to be in the sign business for years before the "old-timers" would acknowledge you as a sign person. Is that a good thing? Subjectively I would say yes. Some of these new people will care about signs like we do. Some won't. That's the same for every business. But to give wrong advice or be nasty to someone because they aren't "good enough" is the wrong approach. When I started I knew zero, ziltch, nada about signs. I was lucky. I had Signs 101 to turn to and everyone was helpful. That's one of the not-so-good changes I've seen. That help is so peppered with sarcasm and demands for credentials that I would have turned away and just done things like I thought they should be. Which would have not been the best way.

So all I can say is I hope the members try to be honest with their answers... try to help the newbies figure it out... and delight in the ones that we teach to be real sign people.