• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Soaking the Printhead

jestoker723

How long should you soak the printhead? Will overnight be too long? I plan on doing it when I leave work today and taking it out when I get back in the morning.

Good or Bad idea?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
If you are soaking the head outside the printer, overnight shouldn't be a problem. You will want to flush the head with a syringe before you put it back in as that will get the debris out of the head before it gets a chance to dry up again. What you are hopping for when you soak a head is for the solvent to wick up into the head to break up the dry ink so it is easier to push out the small nozzles. If you are soaking the head in the machine on the caps, some of my customers have had issues where a siphon occurs and pulls all of the ink out of the system. It rarely happens but it is something you should take into account.

bmatlock5

I have kinda kicked around the idea of placing a piece of saran wrap on top of the cap under my soaking cloth to keep wicking from happening. anyone have an opinion on this idea?

MikePro

I have kinda kicked around the idea of placing a piece of saran wrap on top of the cap under my soaking cloth to keep wicking from happening. anyone have an opinion on this idea?

solvent printer and/or cleaning solution? DONT DO IT.
your printhead may be safe, for now, but your cap will be contaminated with melted plastic and could cause other issues. maybe foil?