• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"Soft" shadow in Omega?

GoodPeopleFlags

Is it possible to do a "soft" or "realistic" drop shadow in Omega like in Illustrator? I don't like the look of the "blocky" type under Tools. I've done a search and can't find anything about it so I'm thinking it can't be done but thought I would ask anyway. I have version 2.61.
Thanks!

Dane DeFord

Yes, it can be done. Select the outer shape (the one that you would choose if making a simple outline). Copy> Paste at whichever angle and distance you would like the shadow to appear. Make 20 outlines on this shape. Starting in the center shape fill with 100% color and decrease color in 5% increments as you work your way to the final outer outline. Turn off all the cutlines except the outer line. It will fade and "appear" to be a soft shadow. If the shadow is behind the object (in which most cases it is) you can use a contour cut to connect the object and the shadow.

You'll probably want to experiment with the fade you're looking for, but that's pretty much how I do it. However, it does not make it translucent as it fades.

Regards, Dane

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
i create the drop shadow in photopaint, save as a jpeg, bring into composer, generate a decal cut, and print black on clear for the shadow....

but i don't think there's a way to get a realistic shadow solely in composer....

Dane DeFord

Just a quickie..... 100% Composer

Regards, Dane

Attachments

• Box.jpg
    Box.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 116

Browner

In OMEGA 3.0 there's a new "feature" - convert to image:

http://www.gspinc.com/downloads/presentations/Omega_300.html

But I really like Dane's method, as it's scaleable, and doesn't make a mega sized file.

I'm not sure why Gerber didn't pursue something like that instead of the "imbed images".

I've always thought that having a command that would apply a gradient fill along an object's path would be a fantastic feature. Currently, we're limited to linear and "radial". (insert thumbs-down smiley here).

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for the great replies, even tho I'm still where I started. I'll try Dane's except I'm using cobalt blue background so it might look funny. Hmmm... maybe if i did an overprint?

Now, if I may pirate my own thread, what about bevels? I can't find where to make those in composer.

Here's what I'm doing. I came up with a design for a guy for 18x24s that will be printed on a flatbed. Designed it in Illustrator and it has the soft shadows and a bevel. Now he wants mags so I'm printing them on the Edge. I need to make sure the colors are going to match pretty closely. That's why I don't want to just convert the Illy file to a .tif and print it. I tried that but the color is waaaay off. I could keep adjusting it in Illy, exporting it and printing another sample, but what a pain. I'd rather just redesign in composer so I can use spot colors (which looks better anyway).

Thank you!

Attachments

• CobaltConstruction_Mags.jpg
    CobaltConstruction_Mags.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 96