• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Soften edges

Ken

Not sure what you mean "around the edges".
Are you wanting a solid object to look like it was spray painted?
Try this... have no outline pen (none) then use the fountain fill - Radial -to fade similar colours to the edges.
Or.. Convert the object to bitmap then try the vignette feature.

Ken

Last edited:

CentralSigns

I need a rectangle to have blured edges, or transparent edges all around it. I tried gradient fills but was only able to get 2 edges this way and not all 4. I used this idea before on a picture and blured the edges with a transparency tool. I tried this time to create a bitmap out of the square and it didn't work. I am trying to recreate the blurred edges like in the Rockets part of the pdf here. Once I have the edges I will place the rockets logo in place.

Attachments

• Arena Banner (1).pdf
    358.8 KB · Views: 93

signmeup

I'd like to know how to do that in Corel too. I bet that was done in Xara... it has a slider at the top that turns any vector shape to that instantly. Wish Corel did.

Joe should know this one if anyone does.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you convert that white rectangle to a bitmap with the transparent background option checked then apply a gaussian blur you will get that exact same effect.
If you want it to keep it vector you could do an outside contour and set the color to go from white to the background color.
Would work with a Blend also.
Copy the white square and scale it up, change the fill of the larger square to match the background & run a Blend with a bunch of steps.

Or copy your artwork to the clipboard - paste it into Xara and go to town......

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

If you convert that white rectangle to a bitmap with the transparent background option checked then apply a gaussian blur you will get that exact same effect.
If you want it to keep it vector you could do an outside contour and set the color to go from white to the background color.
Would work with a Blend also.
Copy the white square and scale it up, change the fill of the larger square to match the background & run a Blend with a bunch of steps.

Or copy your artwork to the clipboard - paste it into Xara and go to town......

wayne k
guam usa
It's a very useful tool, isn't it. It's a shame Corel doesn't have it.

signmeup

Looks pretty good Pat. Here's what Xara does by moving a slider. It will feather text too... and the text remains fully editable. Also multiple shapes can be feathered at the same time... with text if you like. Colours of the feathered items can be changed with a click.

Corel should add this.

Attachments

• Feathers.jpg
    Feathers.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 58

signmeup

Oh okay.

I've only come across one local company that uses Xara, but he had nothing but good things to say about it!
I have the latest version of Xara.

It will also feather gradient fills with transparencies. (I'm trying to fool it now... can't find anything it won't feather)

It's not "the industry standard" so I don't use it much. I just wish "the industry standard" worked as well... and as easily... or at least had some of the same features.

You should download it and give a go.

signmeup

See if you can make one of these. It's vector and fully editable.

Attachments

• XaraFeathers.jpg
    XaraFeathers.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 58

signmeup

Thanks to all who helped, but you on the other hand have me mystified, Signmeup. How did you do that and have it vector and all. Was it in Corel X3
Sorry Central... I got a bit off topic. That was done in Xara Designer 6. I was wishing Corel could do it.

signmeup

Can you use a xara file in corel draw? What format is it in? That looks very interesting. Thanks
Kinda. You can import simple Xara files into Corel. Corel can't do the feather effect so it stands to reason that it can't import it either. Illustrator fares about the same.

Both those programs could benefit from some of the features of Xara. You can download a fully functional version and try it out yourself. You can also buy it for about a hundred bucks. It does websites and photo editing too. Xara is well worth it for the content aware photo editing alone.