• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

software for a new person

Hello,
I own a frame shop in Cleveland ,Ohio ( Go Cavs!) I used to be a display carpenter (union) and we had sign painters union 639 in our shop. Would like to find some software out there for someone new , not too complicated. Need it for use on a Mac. Is there a brand of software that is out there I could use with a free trial before I buy and is there one that is overall preferred? Would like to make signs with pictures and text. Thank You.
Steve

OldPaint

NO COREL FOR MAC........
GET INKSCAPE........ it a linux based open source program. ITS FREE..........
and works on macs..

WildWestDesigns

At one time I have messed with all 3 mentioned and some that haven't been (Xara Xtreme being a fav of mine (on Linux)).

I still have a copy of DRAW X6 that interfaces with my digitizing program, never really bother to install it. My experience stopped with X5 (not trying to say that it's a bad program, just mentioning what I do). Unless you are able to find, install and run Corel 9, you aren't going to be able to get it to run "natively" on the Mac.

That leaves 2 that were mentioned.

Inkscape is free period and Adobe should still have a 30 day trial, but I don't use their CC programs, so I don't know if that still applies to them or not.

As much as I like and advocate FOSS, I go with is more efficient for my business.

Inkscape is a decent program, that may be more then enough for your needs, but I have known it to be more powerful then Ai/DRAW in some respects, but then really being lacking in others. That's my experience, other's mileage may vary.

There are times when I'll run Inkscape on the Linux side, but more often then not, I'm opening up that VM of Windows and I'm running Ai. I should mention that 98% of all outside files that I get are raster based, so that wouldn't present a problem with getting customer files for me and what program I use to open them. The majority of vector files that I deal with are ones that I create and I'm still going to Ai. But then again, you have to remember that I cut my teeth on Ai, so having learned on it first, there is some familiarity to it.

If you do accept outside files and get a lot of vector files, Inkscape may be able to read them, but there is quite a lot of lost info as well. The biggest one for me is layer hierarchy and that could be a problem with tweaking the design if you have to. How Inkscape handles layers in general (although it did get better with .91) is a big turn off for me as I use a lot of layers.

They are all going to have a learning curve though. They all have their pros and cons.

Edit: I see rjssigns snuck in another suggestion, while I was typing the above. I've heard good reviews of it, no experience with that one though. When it was first out, I had already converted the one Mac that we had that I would use to just Linux. Alicia won't let me do anything to her Mac (yet).

OldPaint

illustrator sucks............compared to many other BETTER , FREE, and easier to use design vector, cad programs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOUR A MAC/ADOBE fan.....its your go to program.
i got started on PC back when MACS was a 10" screen with a 5 1/4" floppy to run it))))
COREL DRAW 3.0 came on 7 3 1/2" discs. ran on a 386Dx40 with 4 megs of ram)))))))
and i CUT VINYL RIGHT FROM COREL................ 1992)))))
i have played with most available CAD/SIGN/VECTOR programs.
COREL #1, SIGN LAB #2, FLEXI #3, SIGN WIZARD #4, VINYL MASTER #5, INKSCAPE #6. the 2 worst programs i ever messed with was GERBER GA 6.0(real garbage) and ILLY.........BUT LIKE I SAID......i was using corel since V 3.0.............and illy just slowed me down.........

WildWestDesigns

illustrator sucks............compared to many other BETTER , FREE, and easier to use design vector, cad programs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF YOUR A MAC/ADOBE fan.....its your go to program.
i got started on PC back when MACS was a 10" screen with a 5 1/4" floppy to run it))))
COREL DRAW 3.0 came on 7 3 1/2" discs. ran on a 386Dx40 with 4 megs of ram)))))))
and i CUT VINYL RIGHT FROM COREL................ 1992)))))
i have played with most available CAD/SIGN/VECTOR programs.
COREL #1, SIGN LAB #2, FLEXI #3, SIGN WIZARD #4, VINYL MASTER #5, INKSCAPE #6. the 2 worst programs i ever messed with was GERBER GA 6.0(real garbage) and ILLY.........BUT LIKE I SAID......i was using corel since V 3.0.............and illy just slowed me down.........

I might willing to bet it's because you don't use actions. That's why you think it slows you down. Use actions and it's 2 maybe 3 clicks depending on how you set it up for a lot of functions that people constantly list as taking more time in Ai versus the same functions in DRAW.

Again, it's what you learn 1st and/or take the time to learn.

OldPaint

i have tried many times to make some use of illy.......and because of its drop downs pop ups...what ever you want to call them.......they just get in the way, the next thing i know i got a screen full of crap.....i dont need to see.........now corel.....open something use it and done........GERBER GA 6.0 was so redundant.......same thing open this, open that....every time you needed something had to open something else..'
iam getting used to INKSCAPE. as i have a mini laptop(11.6") and no big hard drive i loaded inkscape.........it also is a touch screen.....more learning curve.....

WildWestDesigns

i have tried many times to make some use of illy.......and because of its drop downs pop ups...what ever you want to call them.......they just get in the way, the next thing i know i got a screen full of crap.....i dont need to see.........now corel.....open something use it and done........GERBER GA 6.0 was so redundant.......same thing open this, open that....every time you needed something had to open something else..'
iam getting used to INKSCAPE. as i have a mini laptop(11.6") and no big hard drive i loaded inkscape.........it also is a touch screen.....more learning curve.....

Actions, actions, actions. That would preclude the very thing you don't like. Moot point I am sure, but you don't have to do the drop down, pop up whatever you want to call it.

WildWestDesigns

ok.....i reloaded illy 7.......where da heck is ACTIONS??

Oh wow. Is that the last version you tried? I think that's the first version where the Window's interface was the same as the Mac.

I certainly can't remember that far back. The only place that I know to check for actions would be Windows > Actions to see if that would bring the actions panel up. Ironically, I didn't start to use actions until CS5, so I don't know what condition, if any, they exist back then.

They did have pre done actions as well, but I have always just used the ones that I created.