• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software for Summa Plotter?

splizaat

Curious what everyone is using for Summa Plotters to send cut jobs over? We've been using Sign Cut Pro for about 9 years on our PC to send cut jobs to our older Summacut D60, and every time we upgrade the software for new features, we end up spending two or three days trying to get the plotter to work again. Their support is usually on top of it, but I'm sick of having to configure settings on the plotter to get it to work with software, or having everything except the "poll width" of the media function not working (which is EXTREMELY frustrating).

I'm ready to change software if someone has some good suggestions....can be free or paid, at this point I don' care.

Kottwitz-Graphics

I design in Corel, and Summa has a "bridge" program that sends it to the plotter. Winplot. It works, but doesn't have a lot as far as features, but there are some work arounds...

For example, there is a weed box, but no lines cut lines between the text like in other bridge programs. What I do is add a line in corel just about the width of the copy, and send it to the plotter with a weed box. The lines don't meet up, but its not too big of a deal...

splizaat

ya I have tried winplot and can't even begin to figure it out. We do all of our design on another computer and dropbox it over to the rip/plotter computer so I'dlike to be able to just drag an eps file into the cut software and hit cut. Basic features would be good like color separation.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Hi Splizaat,

As previously mentioned, Winplot would be something to try. It is a free windows based cutting program that links up with CorelDraw via a plug-in. As Kottwitz pointed out it is not the most feature rich cutting program, but it will get the job done without much setup/fiddling with the settings.

If you're looking for something similar but with additional features like the ability to add the weeding lines, sort your output, etc. then you might consider CoCut Pro. It is inexpensive compared to other options and you can download a fully functioning trial that is good for 30 days so you can see how you like it before committing to a purchase. You can download a free copy here - http://www.cocut.com/.

You are welcome to email me at philj@summa.us if you have any questions or would like to pick my brain on the different available options.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

Bly

We set up the file in Illy then just open in Winplot to cut.
Works fine & is fairly foolproof.

aerial

QCB
I design in Illustrator and save as an EPS. Open in Mac Cut (Mac version of Winplot) and cut. This is a bridge program that does nothing but cut, so you have to have everything the way you want it before you save. It's free from Summa.

LeLuni

I design in Illustrator and save as an EPS. Open in Mac Cut (Mac version of Winplot) and cut. This is a bridge program that does nothing but cut, so you have to have everything the way you want it before you save. It's free from Summa.

Pretty sure the Mac version isn't free, but I hope you can prove me wrong. I ended up purchasing a cheap pc laptop to run the cutters for this very reason.

It was about a year ago that I contacted Phil regarding Mac software on the cutter they shipped me, so maybe (hopefully) something has changed since then.

aerial

QCB
Correction - Mac Sign

My apologies - the program I use is called "MacSign". It is the bridge program for Mac.

jerry369

My apologies - the program I use is called "MacSign". It is the bridge program for Mac.

If you are using MacSign (Cut, Lite or the Full version), save an EPS and import it in MacSign is not the right way to work.
Install MacSign plug-ins for Illustrator.

If MacSign is installed on the same computer of Illustrator:
- select the objects you want to cut from within Illustrator (do not select anything if you want to cut the entire document)
- select File->SofTeam->Send to MacSign
MacSign will be opened with a new document containing the selected objects ready to plot.

If MacSign is not installed on the same computer of Illustrator:
- hide the object you don't want to cut (only the shapes you want to cut must be visible)
- select File->Export... and choose SofTeam MacSign (*.SGN) in the "Save as type" popup
a new document in the format of MacSign (.SGN) will be created, ready to be opened and cut from MacSign.