• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

software question onyx/roland

O.T.P. Signs

My company has just purchased the new onyx 6.5 software and we are running a roland cammjet cj500 (a little dated) my problem is this with the new software some of my colors are printinting way off (my grays and brown are printing green). Also because my printer is dated there are no profiles to dowload. So I am needing some advise or ideas, hopefully, that i can try to make this work.

eye4clr

Option 1
Turn off color management by setting the input profiles in teh Quickset to NONE. Then you have to be the one that edits all the files to print with the right color. Pro = no $ out of pocket, Con = lots of lost $ due to poor color and time spent screwing around to get it "right".

Option 2
Hire a consultant to come in and make profiles for you. Most charge $150-250/hr or $1000-2000/day. Pro = good to excellent color, Cons = they can only do so many in a day, typically 2-4 medias and you are not self sufficient when they leave. Expensive, possibly recurring cost.

Option 3
Take it on yourself. Trust me, it's not all that hard once you get the basics. I train people to do this every day. You'll layout around $1200-5000 for software and hardware and around 2 days of training (that is absolutely critical). All up you'd be looking at a $2000-6000 solution that would leave you self sufficient, ready to take on any media that can take the ink, the best possible color because you craft it, and far more understanding of the inner workings of digital color than you ever knew existed.

May I suggest Option 3. If you'd like to know any good consultants I can provide several names in different regions.

Checkers

Hiya OTP,
Did you check out printingdigital.net yet? They have profiles that you can download.
Also, you can, sometimes, get iaccurate color by using a profile from a similar printer/media combination.
But, I would also suggest option 3 too. It's money well spent. A couple of years ago the company I worked for sent me for some color management training that was hosted by the GIA. The $300 investment for the class paid for itself in a few days.

Cheers,

Checkers

Checkers

I don't recall the instructors name, but the company is Graphic Intelligence Agency, http://graphintel.com/ .
Check out their training schedule to see when they'll be in your area.
The class I took was color management training that was geared towards Adobe software and HP aqueous inkjet printers. At the time I was running an Encad, but the basic principals still applied.
Without a doubt, it was probably the only investment in training that my former employer made where the results were obvious and the payoff was immediate. We reduced our color management related printing issues by 90% within a few days of taking the class and I'll bet that we saved at least $10,000 since then.

Checkers

eye4clr

I ask because I'm the full time west coast GIA trainer. At least until today. Today is the day i switch to being a contractor with GIA and spend more time in my new shop. I can't tell you how excited I am. Things are looking good.

So, to get my geek fix, I'll be spending more time on this board and printingdigital.net.

If you took your class in SD, I was almost certainly your instructor.

Checkers

Congratulations Eye! I can share in your excitement, I'm in the same boat.
The class was one of the travelling shows and I attended the one hosted in Washington D.C. I want to say the trainers name was Dave(?) A big guy with blonde/light brown hair and if I remember correctly, he wore glasses.
I still have the manual and notes from the seminar lying around here somewhere. I think I'll try to dig them up.

Checkers

eye4clr

Ah - Darren. Great photographer.

He's moved to the seattle area and has changed industries (i think).