• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software Recommendations, please

Rookie

Looking for software recommendations for a hand-painted sign shop that's going to begin using vinyl mostly for lettering. Our needs, as far as we can tell, are simple. What would be the best value and most user friendly software for us (we're going to buy a Graphtec or Summa plotter).

WildWestDesigns

I do everything design wise that I need through Illustrator. My roland came with CutStudio which they have a plugin for Illustrator, so when I get ready to do the actual cutting, I use the plugin for that.

Now, I have heard of some people being able to do their cutting straight from the design program like Ai or Coral, but I'm not up on that too much. It might just be as simple as setting the printer setting to your cutter, I don't know. I'll need to investigate that.

As far as software for designing, I would go with something like Illustrator or Draw and they will be there when you have to do more intricate work later on.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Looking for software recommendations for a hand-painted sign shop that's going to begin using vinyl mostly for lettering. Our needs, as far as we can tell, are simple. What would be the best value and most user friendly software for us (we're going to buy a Graphtec or Summa plotter).

If your going to go with a Summa, then all you really need is Corel Draw. I use X3, and really have no use for much more.

The good thing about Summa is they have a bridge program that will allow you to cut directly from Corel.

In addition to Corel, I do use SignTools 3 (for true outlines), but I sometimes go back (way back) to my roots and use CasMate to create different types of shadows.

Jim Doggett

We have a killer deal on a 42" Graphtec-based cutter (FC8000), with really great FlexiSIGN-based software, that will do all your design, vectorization and production. All for only $2995.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/email/weeklydeals/

Graphtec (Q Series) is hands down a better pure vinyl cutter than Summa. Summa is sweet, tracks beautifully, and has super accurate contour cutting (I know; I was Summa's VP for over a decade). But the cut-quality and bullet-proof reliability of a Graphtec cutter is absolutely unmatched.

IMHO :^)

Jim

round man

I would suggest getting a graphtek and using their plugin with coreldraw,you can get some very good deals off of ebay on new ones and the software is a free download from graphtek support.

SignAnnex

If you don't already have Adobe Illustrator, I would recommend Flexi. It has it's quirks but overall it's a really solid program. It gives you the ability to open a wide range of file formats. For cut vinyl Adobe doesn't have any real benefits over Flexi.

Whatever you choose for your software, go with Graphtec for your cutter. If you have any aspirations of getting a digital printer in the future, you should go with at least a 54" cutter. If you are going to use if for only cut vinyl then you will be hard pressed to find a better deal (new) than the 42" package Jim mentioned above.