• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software stupor

Brigg

Hi everyone
I am new to the sign making world and have all of my equipment to get started and I bought CorelDrawx4 as my main software. Wow, you have to be a genius to figure that program out. I have been searching for a more user friendly package for a beginner. I have had several people tell me that the Ultra Flex Express is a very good program. We have a Graphtec 5000-60 cutter and also are using the Epson 1400 wide format print system.
If anyone has experience with the Ultra Flex software let me know how you like it and the ease of use on it. Thanks so much. It is great to be on here.

Duane Briggeman:wavingflag:

BobM

Welcome from Cape of Cod. My advice, find someone local who uses it and pay them to work thru a few jobs with you. Somehow real time direction sticks better than reading manuals and trying to learn one action at a time. The Corel tutorials avaliable free on line are good, but you need at least a few of the basics first to use a foundation. Good luck, you'll get there.

jiarby

Corel is a great package... nothing wrong with it.

Like everything in life.... you gotta be good at what you do. Don't ask for easier stuff to do, get good at the hard stuff!

Steve G.

I have a version of ultra flex for sale.
It works fine to cut and is a basic design program.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32818

Corel is great, try and find someone to teach you the basics. Pay them, it will save a lot of time.
I also love Flexi, illustrator and photo shop, i use them all.
I learned on corel first then went to flexi for cutting.

i am sorry i can not quote the signs101 member who recently said something to the effect of "any software program is easy after you have spent years working with it"...

just like anything worth knowing you are going to have to invest some time to build the knowledge base that you are going to need to be a success in this or any other business...there is no easy answer, there are no short cuts.

Brigg

Thanks for all of the input to my posting

Thanks everyone for all of your valuable input to the post. :U Rock:

Brigg

Brigg

Software

I have a version of ultra flex for sale.
It works fine to cut and is a basic design program.
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32818

Corel is great, try and find someone to teach you the basics. Pay them, it will save a lot of time.
I also love Flexi, illustrator and photo shop, i use them all.
I learned on corel first then went to flexi for cutting.

Steve, I am interested in the software package that you have for sale. How can I get in contact with you to purchase it. Thanks Brigg

GB2

Old Member
Wow, you don't know how lucky you are that you got such cordial replies, it must be your own cordial personality or else all the hard core slammers must still be sleeping. Just out of curiousity, how did you come to buy all that software and equipment, decide to get into the sign business...but not have any idea how to use it?

Brigg

Good Morning Gary

It is a good thing that all of the slammers are still sleeping. lol I have broad shoulders so I can take some ribbing and criticism. My wife and I were in the computerized engraving business for 10 years prior to venturing into this business. A lot of the basics of the equipment are the same so we are not like the blind leading the blind when it comes to the equipment side of of the business. Now the software is a different ball game. I guess the old saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks went out the window when we decided to do this business. We really want to specialize more in the garment business more than the sign business. Signs will be a secondary thing for us. At least that is the way we are going at the present time. Thanks for the post and have a great day, better yet have a profitable day. :Coffee:

let's see Brigg came into the forum and introduced himself.

he stated that he is new, doesnt know it all, is looking to learn. versus the noobs that come here and know it all..

he came here looking for information and has been receptive to the answers versus the majority of new ppl that come here 'looking' for answers that support their flawed logic.

he is obviously serious about it because he didnt buy the ebay special so it is obvious that he has done the basic research first...

he hasnt made any remarks to put down our trade...and how easy it is...even a caveman can do it...

and holy sh!t he even said thank you...

i'd do anything and everything i could to help a new shop owner like this.

Brigg

Software

We used the Hew Hermes software that came with the Vanguard 3000 engraver that we used.

Brigg

Brigg

Thanks Dan and Arlo

Thanks guys for the nice words. As my wife tells me all the time, I AM TRYING. LOL
Have a great day.

Brigg

GB2

Old Member
Well, now that we have that all out of the way....I'm still interested too in what software you do have experience with and what you used in the engraving business. To work with Corel, which is a very accepted design software, you don't really need to be a genius to output basic design needs, you just have to focus on one task at a time and practice, practice. Very soon you will be able to accomplish basic things and then your skill level will increase exponentially. I would work on that rather than look for a lower quality software that you percieve to be "easier", you'll be better off in the long run.