• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

software

R.A.S

so since im on the newbie forum id guess everyone will know im new to this. this may b a dumb question but i cant figure it out. im using coreldraw x4. the problem im having is when someone emails me a pic of a logo or lettering they want i dont know how to take it from a picture to a worthy piece to cut. ive tried using the power trace but i lose half the image. if someone could point me in the right direction it would b greatly appreciated. thank you

Try a program called Inkscape. It is free to download and has an absolutely amazing trace feature. Corel...eh...not so much.

Find the art you need traced and open it up in Inkscape. Click on the image to select it. At the top of the screen, click 'Path'. On the dropdown menu, click 'Trace Bitmap'. I typically use 'Multiple Scan'. I check 'Smooth, check 'Stack Scans' and uncheck 'Remove Background'. Then select the number of colors (including the background) and type it in the query for 'Scans'. Next I typically check the 'Colors' selection as most scans are in color to some degree. For greyscale images, select 'Grays'. Next click 'OK' and Inkscape will scan the image leaving a single path for every color. Next, I typically grab the vector layer and slide it off to the side, then remove the bitmap layer from underneath. Next, save it as an .eps file and you can import it into almost any if not all graphic programs as well as cutting programs.

You can find it here...

http://inkscape.org/

Kottwitz-Graphics

Vector Doctor...great prices, great turnaround....

If you must do it yourself, you won't get perfect results by an auto trace program. You get better results redrawing the art.

signage

Need to learn how to use the Bezier tool and node editing. Then you can place the image and trace it yourself.