• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Software

Banjo

Am looking for a "decent" deal on new Sign making software . Any suggestions on location ? any and all suggestions would be helpful . Not sold on any particular brand although I am new at this and have bought a used SUMMA D-60 . just don't have any software to get it up and runnin' .Thanx

george w

I'm afraid my question is juvenile, however I do need your advice. I haven't needed any software that would allow my printer to make the design in panels. I have a 44" inkjet and one of my first projects involves printing a graphic that is 120" wide by 94" tall. I use Corel x5 for design work, but how do I get the design to the printer panelized for printing? What is the most "idiot proof" software available that performs this function?

Thanks for any information and advice offered.

Jackpine

You need a print RIP that can set panel to fit your printer, Flexi, signlab, CoCut Pro or others. Or you can manually make panels in Corel. You will need to allow for overlap when you install.

I'm afraid my question is juvenile, however I do need your advice. I haven't needed any software that would allow my printer to make the design in panels. I have a 44" inkjet and one of my first projects involves printing a graphic that is 120" wide by 94" tall. I use Corel x5 for design work, but how do I get the design to the printer panelized for printing? What is the most "idiot proof" software available that performs this function?

Thanks for any information and advice offered.

Christian @ 2CT Media

If you are having issues with this trivial of a task I'd recommend Flexi... I'm not trying to be a jerk or elitist in this sense. Flexi simply is one of the best programs to get you started in operating a wideformat printer/plotter, It is just down right simple to operate and functions much like Corel in many senses.

As you gain knowledge and experience you can move to any RIP you are willing to learn. I say this with experience as I was in this position 8 years ago when I was thrust into vehicle wraps for the company I worked for. I already knew photoshop, illustrator, and corel so flexi was just a extension of those programs in a sense and I quickly learned problems, solutions, tricks and methods many of which came from lurking here.

george w

Thanks for the information, I'm not stupid, merely a bloody novice! I didn't mind not knowing things when I was at an age where all of my peers were in the same boat. Now it is a humbling experience. I'm stoked about this business not necessarily because I can make a little money at it but rather because it is a creative outlet and it is a very interesting field of work.

If Flexi is the easiest software with the lowest learning curve then that is my product. I enjoy working and I have never burned with desire to be a programmer, so the less time I spend learning to use software the happier I am.

george w

Corel..........

ha haa... the shortest learning curve and it works. Not industry standard I know, but my research told me that it has drastically improved over old versions (I have no frame of reference for that) and that it does with one command what Adobe takes two and sometimes three commands to do. (That sold me)

I am all about functionality at the moment. The simpler the better until have some depth of experience to draw upon.