Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar Lights?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by zmatalucci, Mar 19, 2010.

1. zmatalucci

zmatalucci Very Active Member

Anybody ever come across a decent solar powered flood light system? I want to illuminate the sign out front of my house, and it's about 250 ft away from any electrical connections.

Tags:
  2. CheapVehicleWrap

CheapVehicleWrap Very Active Member

Dec 2, 2008
    No, all the ones I've tried were lame.

3. bayshorecreations

bayshorecreations Very Active Member

Jun 15, 2007
    NJ
    I have yet to see a good one either but hey it will be better than what you have now right?

4. zmatalucci

true, I'm contemplating renting a ditch witch and running the wire myself, and then having an electrician make the actual connection. Code says 24" deep, too much for a trenching shovel. I guess it will be worth the 5-6 hundred bucks in the long run...sign working an extra 10-12 hours a day

5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    The people in one of my rent houses have these solar LED yard lights, they are f'ing bright. I think I saw them at Home Depot. I bet if you modified them with some chrome vinyl on one side you could make them shine in one direction. They are only like $25 for a set of 4. If it don't work you'd only be out that, and have some lights for your yard.

6. zmatalucci

^ steal & mail them to me so I can try them out ;-)

7. Patrick46

Patrick46 Member

We have those going up our driveway. YES, they are bright, but they're only good for a few hours, then the batteries wear off.

8. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    If it is by his house I bet you would not want them on all night anyway.

I would steal them, but they are the only ones that pay the rent on time, not like my other two losers.

9. G-Artist

G-Artist Active Member

Jan 25, 2010
    I can't tell you where to buy them but you may query your state highway dept.

Panels about 2' x 3' and a battery pack right under the panel. Put it on an 18' pole
    and cover the pole with anti-climb paint (keep folks honest). Run the wire down to
    the sign lamp. A local light shop can sell you a pretty bright bulb that uses low energy
    (12 v DC) and probably the proper reflector to go with it.

The tough part is selecting a battery as they are all over the map when it comes to
    prices and features.

Not unheard of is a wind turbine on top of a pole to charge the battery. Lots of new
    technology in that area and prices are reasonable.

10. There is a company out of New York State that makes some. If I can find the info, I will post it.