Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar Power

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Dice, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Dice

Dice Active Member

Jun 23, 2008
    Ok so i thought about getting a solar power system for my house.

Found this : http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1YEXSM3AQCEWXFR9XA9F

Each of those panels produces 123 Watts. Does that mean .123 kWh for each panel? Figuring 5 hours of Sunlight and 10 of these panels. Thats 1.23 kWh * 5 = 184.5 kilowatts per month.

So assuming I use about 2000 kWh per month that would save me a whopping 10% on my electric bill. And thats with 10 Panels! Not even close to worth it.

Is my Math correct?

Tags:
  2. Mainframe

Mainframe Very Active Member

3. SqueeGee

SqueeGee Active Member

May 27, 2005
    That is an "off grid" system and it costs over $8 per watt(without mounting hardware!). You're right, for that price, it's wayyyyyyyy too expensive.

I've done quite a bit of research and am very close to doing a 10KW grid tied system for our new shop. This requires that you are able to get a net meter with your power company. Without mounting hardware and installing it myself, I'm at $18,500 for the panels, inverters, and combiner boxes ($1.85/watt).

Here's where I'm looking to get our panels:

http://sunelec.com/

4. SqueeGee

SqueeGee Active Member

May 27, 2005
    I watched the story on 60 minutes about this and it really is amazing but still probably several years away from being available to the Average Joe.

5. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    I have looked into this and plan to wait another 5 years or so. Technology is going to make solar way cheaper and easier for the average person. the guy down the raod from me has a 75' wind turbine, $20,000 and it only does 40% of his monthly power. My electricity bill at home is only $100 a month, so can't see doing that.