Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Solar Powered Lights for signs?

Discussion in 'Think Green!' started by mikefine, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mikefine

mikefine Member

May 6, 2007
    Is the technology there yet?

I am estimating a 3' x 5' post and panel sign for a condominium entrance. The client wants to consider solar lights as an option. (The sign sits back too far
    to use reflective vinyl.)

I have tried some solar light brands from Home Depot, but they don't seem to be vibrant enough to effectively illuminate a sign.

Can anyone recommend an affordable source or option? Thank you....Michael

Tags:
  2. FishnSigns

FishnSigns Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Littleton, Colorado
    Haven't found one yet. We have tried 2 different (non home depot options). Both versions were way too dim and the clients were unhappy. Ended up going with 110 power instead. If you find a good solution, I'm interested.

3. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Solar power lighting has not gotten this far yet. The Solar panels do not put out enough to keep the sources charged.

4. radiohead223

radiohead223 Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Australia
    you can build your own led light system with solar panels to charge a battery back. but the problem is always going to be the batteries will not last to long with the constant charging and discharging

5. nwsigns

nwsigns Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Monroe wa
    You can do it but its not cheap - you need to go with a commercial solar system. We did this job several years ago where it would have been really expensive to bring power in. This is in Washington where solar is not a good idea but with the right battery it works.

Wish I had the info from where I got it but I sold that business so dont have the files any more - search for solar sign lighting and you should get some good options, just remember you get what you pay for with solar.

Attached Files:

6. Hytek Tools

Hytek Tools Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Baxter, Minnesota
    This is a real bummer, we were planning on trying solar on an up and coming project! Given this information we might have to rethink it...

7. Locals Find!

Locals Find! Very Active Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Fort Myers
    I met with an electrician the other day doing lighting using a combination of solar panels and led bulbs. You may want to contact a good local electrician and see what options are available in your market.

8. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    i gotts a get me some o them led bulbs!

9. Hytek Tools

Hytek Tools Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Baxter, Minnesota
  10. ThinkRight

ThinkRight Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Atlanta Ga
  11. Hero Signs

Hero Signs If they let me make it, they will come

Sep 19, 2011
    rosenberg,tx
    The middle east is full of solar powered street lights. Seen it myself, not sure what they are using, not the focus of my visit, but they do work well.

12. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor