• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solara UV

ChiknNutz

Just curious if anyone has one of these or has some experience with them. I was just looking at their website and was wondering about it. I'm not really in the market for one, but just wonder how it compares to some of the other UV printers. Seems like production output is pretty slow (slower than most inkjets), but direct to substrate is pretty cool. Also, what is the ink cost PSF on these?

Matt Cuellar

I was at an SGIA event a few years ago where they were comparing the Solara versus the ColorSpan 72uvr and there was no comparison. The ColorSpan was much better quality, speed, etc, etc. When I saw the Solara at ISA, it was obvious that they made some improvements, but still, very slow versus the Raster or even the ColorSpan 5400 series. More colors equals a little more gamut, but for signage, the cost is higher on these machines versus the 5400. The 5400 has a better resolution, much better tech support available (contrary to what others might think about ColorSpan), and a distinct history of performance in the UV-curable market. That's my thoughts, but then again, I'm only a middle schooler! =0)

Matt

ChiknNutz

Curious...what does the ColorSpan 5400 printers cost? Is this ColorSpan's cheapest model? On the Gerber site, they have the Solara for like $58k with Onyx.

Mel Adams

At Vegas they had the solara for $55,995 and that included everything! Onyx rip, 2 sets of ink,roll of vinyl, install by factory tech, training etc.. The only thing you need to have is the 220 power and a computer. If I remember right the color span started at 55 and then you added ink, install, rip etc...
Ink cost on solara was quoted as $0.33/sq ft
Its not the fastest printer out there but they said it would do 18 4'x8' in an 8hr day. We only do about 5 sheets a day so thats more than what we need.

-mel

SignManiac

Colorspan 5465 is $79,995 setup and installed with rip. I don't want to figure out what its gonna cost me with financing. Tomorrow is training day. So far the print quality is outstanding and the speed is fast.

gnemmas

Since the Colorspan 5400 series is a "hybrid" flatbed, can switch to roll feed in a heartbeat, can it be send to plotter with registration marks for cutting? I was told the older Colorspan UVR printers can not.

Flame

I've seen it print, it's not the fastest. Actually pretty slow IMO. It is cool that it will print direct to substrate, and the colors are fabulous. But for a flatbed... I'd want better speed myself.

uv2

we bought one last may... its good... yea its slow but its a helluva lot faster than weedin, taping, yknow........

the only complaint i have is the MDO cannot be run through as they claimed
so we switched to alumacore

we looked at the ColorSpan, it did have alot better tolerance with substrate
(MDO)

they said it would do 18 4'x8' in an 8hr day.
the speed on a 4x8 is about 50 minutes on 3 pass, the gerb salesman is
probably using the proof setting which is alot faster but quality is not there

as for cost psf we figured around 20 cents,

also its a $$$ making beast running 8-12 hours a day, every day
it paid for itself in 6 months