• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solaris Vs. Triangle MLD

jason91

I have a roland sp 300v that is no longer under warr. I've really been thinking about going to a third party ink.. I did a search and most are talking about these 2 inks...
1.My question is which one is the best?
2.Best color gamat?
3.Do I have to change profiles for each one....than the roland ones?
4.How is the smell.....I run my sign company out of my house? Mainly race car wraps??
5.Can I just insert in or do i need to flush all roland ink out??? Any help i would greatly appreciate... I know you guys get tired of answering this question...Thanks

ProColorGraphics

I am using Solaris and love it. Colors look great, I am using the same profiles and haven't had any problems at all. Like with any ink you use, just keep it clean and maintained.

Robert M

MLD vs EDX

I just came back from SGIA and triangle just intoduced a EDX ink. This new ink has very little oder and is a plug and play product that requires no flushing and no profiling (per Triangle)
I spoke with one of the developers and they have had very good results in the test markets. I'm ordering some and will post my findings

ProColorGraphics

I just came back from SGIA and triangle just intoduced a EDX ink. This new ink has very little oder and is a plug and play product that requires no flushing and no profiling (per Triangle)
I spoke with one of the developers and they have had very good results in the test markets. I'm ordering some and will post my findings

I did see an ad for this in a magazine I just got. It does look interesting.

Jack Knight1979

I used to use MLD in my Roland. I would burn through a couple heads a year and then it basically caused some serious problems and I was down for six weeks.

I love how Triangle said it wasn't the ink,etc. Now they've finally introduced a Eco style ink. What does that say about MLD? They're not my favorite company.

I then switched to Solaris and I have not had one problem since. Triangle MLD and Roland do not mix.

DCaptDan

I can't understand why people buy a Roland printer for the quality then use 3rd party inks. Sure the cartridge price may seem a cheaper but figure out how many prints you get from a cartridge and see what your really saving per print. Certainly not enough to pay for a head that blows prematurly or some of the other problem they cause. It's been proven time and time again....... You get exactly what you pay for....

ProColorGraphics

Haven't had any problems with mine and Jack Knight1979 has used his for years with no problems either. People can call B/S all they want, but I think the colors with the Solaris ink look better.

Paper&co

I've used Triangle MILD inks for a little time, and the results were terrorific. The XC540 was literally melted by the ink. Tubes were dryed, heads become closed, and plastic parts melted. Using the meachine everyday, so there's no time to dry out.

Triangle said many excuses, but reality is that this ink doesn't match Roland printers.

Now I'm using other alternative inks, that are eco-ink, and they work properly. I did not note that these inks are less lasting than the original ones. There are not the same, of course, but the price diners the quality because it gives me no problems.

Edit: note that the alternative inks are 40 % less than originals...

feckmo

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I just wanted to throw my experience in here. We've been using Triangle MLD inks for the past 6 months or so and, while the print results have been good when it prints, we've had tons of problems with the machine since the switchover.

I think we've gone through three dampers, the cartridge/line pin seals never seem to be made properly, the cartridges themselves are so poorly made that they randomly separate/fall apart causing all kinds of trouble, and the empty cartridge trip function never works properly.

All that said, tonight was the last straw -- not only did BOTH magenta cartridges run out in the middle of a print without any warning at all, but when I went to replace them I found that one of the cyan carts had been leaking all over the back of the machine and on to the floor. What garbage. Like Paper&Co, when I opened the machine to clean it up, I found what look like melting parts in a number of locations (lines, dampers, capping stations, etc.)

Just a word of warning for anyone considering Triangle inks for their Roland printer. And for what it's worth, I bought through JSI Sign, and every time I let them know about a problem, they didn't want to hear about it. Not going to be using them again any time soon either.

No more for me -- I'm going back to Roland OEM inks from my local dealer as soon as possible. The minimal savings per print just isn't worth the shoddy delivery system or the potential damage to the machine.

Large Format

Why take a chance on 3rd party inks with a SP 300. The 300 does not have enough throughput to justify anything but OEM. Thew money you save on other inks will not justify the problems it could produce. Stick with Roland ink.

premiercolour

Merchant Member
For larger companies who runs 24/7, who doesn't use 3rd party ink? Just if you don't use 3rd party ink; it is hard to have enough sales to run 24/7. Is my theory correct?

Francis