• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solid 1" bleed on Wall Mural ? Why ?

Vinh1219

Was watching a video on Tinttv.com ( Episode 7 ). Why are they using solid white bleed and then trimming it off at the end of install. Isn't easier to use the graphic as bleed instead of solid white and having to worry about trimming at the end ?

[video=vimeo;78110175]http://vimeo.com/78110175[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

DigiPrinter

I saw Larry and Mo.....Curly was smart and stayed off camera. I think Larry, or was it Mo, brought on some of the client questioning by not trimming at the shop. It's sooo much easier to trim at the shop on a table.

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Repositionable vinyl isn't repositionable on panted drywall once it is squeegeed...

The manufacture should have trimmed those prints down before they shipped them. The installers should have corrected the mistake and trimmed the prints before they installed them for several reasons. One, it's impossible to line up prints with a one inch white border. And two, I bet he cut into the bottom layer and you can see white vertical lines where the graphics have shrunk by now.

It is always smart to split the bleed and trim the top and bottom of the graphics on the wall. Celling's are never perfectly straight or level and even if they were it's hard to line up the first panel perfectly so the graphics don't run up or down hill some over long distances. On the off chance the ceiling is perfectly straight and you line it up perfectly, the guy getting paid peanuts to trim down the prints won't trim them even or straight, Murphy's Law,

I doubt this looks like a professional installation in person. They even showed us where the paint and paper came up and I question how that top edge and the seems look.

My 2 cents...