• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solid color prints shaded stripes

JACsigns

Hello,
I have a SP300v and am having a bit of a problem. When I print a large area of a solid color I get lines in it.. I don't know how to explain but it's like the color is light then dark and light again...
I'm printing on Orajet 3951RA. I've printed on this media before but it seems that when there is a solid area it gets these lines. I have the preset on SCM PGVP Premium cast vinyl_CMYK maxSol 2bit high quality.
These were the setting from Marty at Beacon graphics here in NJ
I hope someone can shed some light on this. Since I purchased this thing it has been a long road to get to this point. Selling the printed stuff here is S. Jersey is new to them.. a bit hesitant till they see it.
JAC

ChiknNutz

Are the lines perpendicular or parallel to the head travel? If perp., then could be too much heat. If parallel, then could be a slightly blocked head damper. I've had these issues off and on for what seems like forever, which is more frustrating than if it were always.

vid

If the lines are parallel with the printhead travel and they look more like a gradation from dark to light --- rather than distinct bands of color --- try adjusting your printhead speed down.

The theory is: Your printheads are starving for ink when it prints light. By slowing down the head speed, you're giving it a better chance to replenish the ink in the heads for a more even coating...

That's the story I got from our vendor. ...after warranty replacement of dampers, printheads and some other things to alleviate that issue on an SP540. It's still there, but not nearly as noticeable by slowing the head speed.

Test the print with your same settings but change the quality to "standard." Your lines may not show up because there isn't as much demand for ink...

It's a theory, your mileage may vary. If your issue continues, use the phrase, "It looks like ink starvation from the printheads," when you describe it to your service professional. That will get you to a whole different troubleshooting flowchart on their end rather than using the terms "lines" or "banding"... send samples and pictures with what you're experienceing , too. That's what finally got a warranty tech to our shop.

Good Luck

amw

Longtime Members
Hello,
I have a SP300v and am having a bit of a problem. When I print a large area of a solid color I get lines in it.. I don't know how to explain but it's like the color is light then dark and light again...
I'm printing on Orajet 3951RA. I've printed on this media before but it seems that when there is a solid area it gets these lines. I have the preset on SCM PGVP Premium cast vinyl_CMYK maxSol 2bit high quality.
These were the setting from Marty at Beacon graphics here in NJ
I hope someone can shed some light on this. Since I purchased this thing it has been a long road to get to this point. Selling the printed stuff here is S. Jersey is new to them.. a bit hesitant till they see it.
JAC

Keep in mind i am very new to the printing side, so i could be way off!

Have you tryed the profile from oracal for the 3951RA?
I have the same printer, and use the oracal profile with very nice prints.

S

Sign-Man Signs

The last time this happened to us, we adjusted the print head height. Problem fixed.

JACsigns

thanks for all the input..

vid: we also had the pump, dampers, and caps replaced. the lines are just as you described...How do you slow the speed of the head travel??

Sign-Man Signs: another good suggestion.. it is hard to do??
I'm new to this thing or should I say.. still learning.? :eek:)

amw: I'm printing through Flexi 8. I don't know if there is a profile for it with them..

thanks again for the input everyone
JAC