• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Solid colors fade when printing. Roland LEF 12

marcosuv

Hello, i've had this printer for almost 2 years, i dont really print large areas so the problem never affected me much since i do mostly phone cases. This happens when i print solid dark colors mainly, it starts good but after an inch or so the color fades and then it goes back to solid. i use pdf files on versaworks and i choose sign & display preset because i print vectors. My test print comes out good and the dampers seem to have ink. Your help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_7130.JPG
    IMG_7130.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 540
  • IMG_7126.JPG
    IMG_7126.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 423
  • IMG_6994.JPG
    IMG_6994.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 714

Scott at Roland

Hello, i've had this printer for almost 2 years, i dont really print large areas so the problem never affected me much since i do mostly phone cases. This happens when i print solid dark colors mainly, it starts good but after an inch or so the color fades and then it goes back to solid. i use pdf files on versaworks and i choose sign & display preset because i print vectors. My test print comes out good and the dampers seem to have ink. Your help will be appreciated!
Hi Marcosuv - It might be a good idea to create a CMYK file - separate blocks of CMYK on a horizontal plane so the printer prints all colors separately on each pass. Then choose Density Control Only in your color management and print that. If the issue is a specific color, you should be able to see the banding in only that color. That will help you isolate the issue to a print head or cables. If it is in all colors, you can probably eliminate the print heads as the issue. Also, try to determine if the fading occurs at the same place each time - mostly I am thinking about the table itself as opposed to individual prints.

CharlieA

We have a brand new HP 365 Latex 64" printer. When asked to print a solid PMS 534 it couldn't be done without vertical banding appearing especially on Window Perf Material. We use the Clear Focus material but tried to print this dark blue color in large swatches? No go. HP became involved and concluded that they cannot print some tertiary colors such as this PMS and others that are "out of gamut" colors. Even on IJ-180 with the proper profile etc this solid color will show vertical banding. They tried everything before they told us this but it says in their handbook on page 115 that there is a problem with these particular colors. Don't blame HP for this because we tried to have another shop print this job for us and they experienced the same outcome on different machines including a flatbed and another type of printer than the HP of which I cannot remember the name of. I would say that just be aware that some things just won't print. It's the nature of the beast.

Attachments

• 20191031_102838.jpg
    20191031_102838.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 443
  • 20191031_102842.jpg
    20191031_102842.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 409

marcosuv

ok so i printed cmyk blocks on a piece of paper an the results were better. This was an EPS file but i always save as PDF because i print on phone cases and my illustrator file has to match my jig... These blocks were printed vertical that means it printed one color at a time.

MachServTech

Turn on spit (verification) stripe on the side of the prints. This can be done in the rip. It will help determine or eliminate possibilities.

Scott at Roland

I agree with Kanini - double check your media - maybe try cleaning with isopropyl alcohol and make sure there isn't anything on the media.

marcosuv

This is a flatbed printer and i dont think i have the option to print a stripe on the side... Do yall think a slow computer or slow network could cause this type of banding?

Scott at Roland

This is a flatbed printer and i dont think i have the option to print a stripe on the side... Do yall think a slow computer or slow network could cause this type of banding?
You can test this pretty easily. When the printer starts printing, hit the Pause button and leave it down for 15-20 seconds. This allows the buffer to fill in the printer and when you hit Pause to resume printing, you should get constant printing while the device empties the buffer. Then you can check your print quality and compare it to see if it is a problem with data flow.