• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solivent or UV for a Flatbed?

KR3signguy

different ink lifespan & material options.
roll to roll generally solvent= rolled media
flatbed UV =rigid substrates

the flatbed can also be used to take naps or play air hockey.

I ment, if I had the option to buy a solivent flatbed or a UV flatbed printer do print on things like coro, sintra, and foam cor, which would be better?

sign&frame

Pretty sure with solvent flatbeds you can print on all them things.
Things I doubt you can print on it glass and metal because the solvent has to eat into the material to adhear.

Matt Cuellar

In my experience solvent is very limited on what substrates it can be directly printed on. All plastic based products (PVC, Coro, etc) are incompatible as the ink will just run. True solvent will print on styrene, cardboard, and plywood, but for the most flexibility, UV will adhere to almost anything. If you're doing a lot of substrates, UV is probably the better way to go.

sign&frame

Well, I believe don't hold me to it but not completely B.S because you might have to add a pretreatment so the ink adheres to no poris material.
But in long run both machines will have there up and downs because I done research and been to alot of trade shows.
If you think you are gonna do a lot of production work than go with UV but you are just doing little odd and ends get Solvent

KR3signguy

Solvent will usually last a few more years more than UV outdoors depending on who makes the ink & the elements that they're exposed to. Good luck

Typestries

Jeti all the way baby.
yes, it's like putting a house in your shop, well worth it though!!! And air hockey as a free bonus.....

ksc

ion all the way baby.... ($95000.00 with all the stuffing (software etc......)) (The stork will deliver my new air hockey playing baby ion on the 19th of sept...

ksc

My ion just was installed on 10-8-08 the ink is hard and flexible the ion is fast and you can walk away from it its cool.... coroplast prints vary nice, no head strikes mdo etc ...too cool....

jdigital

For UV? Inca with sericol inks. Great combination!! Sericol makes two types of inks for the Incas. We use UviJet EI which works grrrreat(lol). They also make a more flexible ink for the Incas. I've heard it's really good and not as brittle.