• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solo Cold Laminator by Daige reviews?

GRGraphics

Anyone here have or ever used a Solo Cold Laminator by Daige? Extremely affordable but look to be a fairly new brand. Made in the USA. looking for any info. Thanks

rjssigns

IIRC one of our esteemed forum members threw his in the trash same day he got it.

Personally I have never used one, but here is what I know about laminators. Buy a decent rig right away. A bad laminator will cost you more in ruined product and frustration than it's worth.

On that note several members have gotten USTech lams and are quite happy with them. 65" is around $2500 as I recall, which is not much more than what you're looking at.

MachServTech

Daige sells under a few names, all of these are fairly heavy built with poor quality and poor fit an finish.

The can get the job done...for a while. Getting the correct replacement parts is an extreme pain in the ***.

If you are looking for a solid unit, albit way more expensive i would say Seal, or at least Royal Sovereign (at least you can get someone on the phone).

Dennis422

I purchased laminator a bit over a year ago.
Started looking into Daige first. Did some research and bought US Tech MVT500.

What I have learned about Daige summs up in two words STAY AWAY

Good luck

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Daige is not new. My first laminator was a Daige. I replaced a roller (rubber slipped on edges due to apparently uneven tension which may or may not have been my fault for not operating it correctly) and plastic bands that hold the tension (they loosen in time).
I still use mine, not for laminating...but as a mounting machine on top of a production table because the stand broke where the welds were (cheap).
I hear they have a heavier duty stand now so I must not have been the only one this happened to.
The price allowed me to stop liquid laminating but was NOT worth the time, efforts, material loss, etc in Hind Sight as far as peace of mind and productivity.

I ended up getting a Royal Sovereign. No comparison really. It's not as heavy or expensive as a SEAL but well worth every penny.
Too bad it's not Made In America like SEAL and Daige are.
The SOLO may have some problems resolved from earlier units but not the overhaul to make it comparable to the larger more expensive units.
If it's all you can afford, it WILL help you learn patience and how to trouble shoot all kinds of laminating issues...until you can afford any other laminator.
It will get the job done once you get the hang of it...but you get what you pay for.
I'm not knocking Daige, I'm just putting it in the class of laminators it know's it's in which is "Most Affordable".
And like I said...you don't throw it away, you either use it for smaller one off jobs or as a GREAT Mounting Machine for stuff like 4'x8' substrates or even 20 foot long Lexan Sign Faces with translucent vinyl. It's still useful and worth what we paid.