Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Solution Needed for Bus Signage

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by elibetjun, Dec 6, 2017.

1. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

I have a customer with a bus company. I need to come up with a solution for them and I don’t know if there is a product out there that would work. We usually letter their buses with "cut vinyl lettering". But they have a few buses now that they use on the weekend for private parties and when they do that - they can’t have
    the bus lettering showing on there. So they need to somehow on the weekend cover up the weekday lettering. Magnets wont work here because the buses are fiberglass. I have photos of the buses. Do you know of a solution ?

Tags:
  2. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, CA
    We've been using Drytac SpotOn for short term coverups. Both printed and unprinted, goes on and comes off easily.

Has never affected anything underneath. But we've never used it on a vehicle.

3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    We had a bus company have us install twist lock grommets (you see them on folding boat canopies)
    Made a template to match the grommet layout & use banners to cover up for the weekend charters.
    Was not a great idea but it worked.

wayne k
    guam usa

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Edvin

Edvin New Member

Nov 13, 2017
    USA
    I'm not sure if this will work; perhaps, a sign can be put on suction mount

suction.jpg

5. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

thank you for your suggestion. i will look into it. yes it has to stay on a moving vehicle lol - so i will ask if it can do that ~ thank you !

6. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

thanks yes that would work i will ask the customer if they want that - thank you

7. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

another possibility, i will ask the customer if they like that idea as well. thank you.

8. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
    Can you post an image?

9. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

ok i posted 4 images here - not sure i did it correctly - so confirm you can see them

Attached Files:

10. AKwrapguy

AKwrapguy Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Anchorage, AK
  11. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    I think the customer should put a little more thought into their identity. Is the issue that they have large commercial graphics which wouldn't be appropriate for high end private charters?
    Is it just a few of the vehicles that are used for the private charters? Around here some of these companies have a more discreet corporate identity graphic for these types of vehicles.
    After all, they do have to have identification of some sort, just create a more sophisticated design for them.

12. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

thank you wrap guy ! i will reach out.

13. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

thank you Bill. I will bring that suggestion up to the customer thanks again

14. ikarasu

ikarasu Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    http://www.gansdigital.com/2017/01/19/x-base-is-here/?dzsvg_startitem_dzs-video0=0
    I've never used this stuff, but it sounds perfect for what you need.

You could talk them into a partial, or full wrap while using this stuff as a laminate... The just use any heap vinyl to cover up the print on weekends. You could even save the backing paper and re use the vinyl every week.

I've never used the stuff, just seen videos. So it may not be feasible - it'a probably not a UV clear, but it maybe able to print, laminate, then use this stuff on-top of the laminate .

If your interested, talk to big fish, gabsdigital sells the stuff. I've been looking for a use for it so I can justify buying some.

Again... I haven't used it, don't even know if it's a cast or calendered material. So it may not be suitable for your needs, but it's an option you can look into if it sounds good to you.

15. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

thank ikarasu ~ i will def look into this product you suggested.

16. GB2

GB2 Very Active Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Connecticut, USA
    I use 3M IJ36 quite a bit. It is a temporary adhesive vinyl with a block-out gray adhesive that is designed for temporary bus advertising. It may work nicely for your purpose.

17. elibetjun

elibetjun New Member

thank you Gary i will look into it. but they need to cover the bus lettering they have just for the weekend. then they need their regular weekday bus lettering to be visible during the week. not sure they will want to cover with sticky vinyl material and then remove it every weekend but i will ask - thanks again