• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Solvent and latex?

JDdesign

HELLO EVERYONE!!

I want to know Solvent and latex difference

I OWN MIMAKI JV300 use Solvent SS21

In recent years HP latex PRINTING machine is becoming increasingly commonplace

BUT IN TAIWAN HP latex Not a lot , SO I WANT KNOW HP latex advantage

as far as I know HP latex ink and Nozzle and machine is Cheap.

BUT PRINTING COLORFUL AND PRINTING DPI is Not better Solvent

HP latex Is it difference the Solvent Environmental protection?

THANK YOU

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
A quick search should get you a million threads on this already.

it all comes down to your needs and the tech support nearby. No point picking a printer that’s 1k cheaper if it costs an extra 2k just to get a guy out to look at it.

there’s also UV nowadays. Again, depends what you need them for as they all have their own particular strengths and weaknesses.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I don't think Latex is a good fit for Asia... My understanding about printing in Asia is mostly about hitting extremely oversaturated bright colors. Although the Latex is capable of this, it will be slower to achieve than the solvent machines.

JDdesign

I don't think Latex is a good fit for Asia... My understanding about printing in Asia is mostly about hitting extremely oversaturated bright colors. Although the Latex is capable of this, it will be slower to achieve than the solvent machines.

On the one hand, YOU SAY YES...; on the other hand, Venue layout Does not require colorful so I Thinking BUY HP Latex use Venue layout
business

JDdesign

A quick search should get you a million threads on this already.

it all comes down to your needs and the tech support nearby. No point picking a printer that’s 1k cheaper if it costs an extra 2k just to get a guy out to look at it.

there’s also UV nowadays. Again, depends what you need them for as they all have their own particular strengths and weaknesses.

BECAUSE THE HP salesperson Just say Advantage,BUT I ASK Same job for LATEX Evaluation NOT WELL, UV I USE a period of time After that will BUY IT

LATEX I Looks nothing special Advantage,
I am very confused

Baronc

We just switched back from Latex to Epson Eco-solvent. We do graphics for emergency vehicles on 3M reflective material. The reasons we switched back was the fact that the latex ink covers up the reflectivity of the material and in order to hit vibrant reds we were having to run inks at 200% density with massive amounts of optimizer to prevent bleeding of the high density inks. This further complicated the issue of applying laminate as the laminate would not adhere well to the latex ink. HP's suggestion was to wait 24 hours after laminating before cutting which negates the whole reason we switched to latex, to have fast turnaround.

TomK

We just switched back from Latex to Epson Eco-solvent. We do graphics for emergency vehicles on 3M reflective material. The reasons we switched back was the fact that the latex ink covers up the reflectivity of the material and in order to hit vibrant reds we were having to run inks at 200% density with massive amounts of optimizer to prevent bleeding of the high density inks. This further complicated the issue of applying laminate as the laminate would not adhere well to the latex ink. HP's suggestion was to wait 24 hours after laminating before cutting which negates the whole reason we switched to latex, to have fast turnaround.
I am by no means a printer expert, but my understanding is that waiting before anything with latex doesn't do anything for you, since the ink cures with heat. I wonder why they would tell you to wait.

I've had times my wonderful latex doesn't have even heat on the curing platen, and I've used a heat gun on low heat to "finish" the drying process, which worked. But I also let a print sit for weeks that wasn't fully dry off of the latex, and weeks later it was still oily.

Odd.

Baronc

I believe the oiliness is the issue. It's front the optimizer being run so high and it just doesn't go away. The only reason we have to run so high is that our customers require a more intense red so the inks are super saturated.

TomK

I believe the oiliness is the issue. It's front the optimizer being run so high and it just doesn't go away. The only reason we have to run so high is that our customers require a more intense red so the inks are super saturated.
Agree, and letting the prints sit for 24 hours or 24 months I don't think will "dry" the oil/optimizer, the only thing that will is heat.

unclebun

The main advantage for latex printers is that the print is ready to use, laminate, or cut immediately after coming off the printer. There is no required drying or outgassing time.

The disadvantage for latex printers is the print quality.

ikarasu

Latex is approved for traffic signs... Which must meet certain standards of reflectivity. We print green blue and yellow all the time and have excellent reflectiveness.. much more than our solvent gave us.

Perhaps you were laying down too much ink for reflective? We print at 6/8p and 100-120% ink and can hit a decent red. It's definately harder to dial in the correct settings to print nice colors on a latex... Especially reds, but it is doable!