• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solvent ink fumes

vince

how harmful are the fumes from my mutoh valuejet 1604 solvent inks and what is adequate ventilation to disperse them?

gabagoo

I often wonder this myself as even though I have the exhaust vents going outside, sometimes with heavy ink coverage it can get pretty heavy in here.

Now on a side note, sometimes when I go to my screen printers place my eyes almost water from the crap they smell all day and I don't see any exhaust vents.

speedmedia

I was under the impression no venting was needed for the Mutoh eco sol printers?

Is this false advertising? I have a Mimaki and that thing can get pretty ripe at times but since I have moved into my new shop it has it's own room and I can't smell it.

You are right on the screenprinter thing though. I worked as a designer at a large screenprinting company in the area for a while a few years ago and would come home with a raging headache almost everyday.

That being said I used up a lot of my brain cells in high school and want to try to keep the little I do have left.

Thanks,
Kurt

kirkbedtelyon

My desk is 48" away from my ValueJet. I was really getting a lot of fumes...and I was feeling a little too good while I worked...(great for designing wild stuff though).

Anyways. I installed dual range hoods I bought at Home Depot and vented them outside. They work GREAT. Cant smell a thing when they're on. Forget to turn them on and it's a quick trip to my happy place. lol A pretty cool setup if I do say so myself!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Eco-Solvent is BS, the fumes from anything just about with solvent is NOT good for anyone. False advertising to say the least, I mean they are great machines but you should venilate if you smell any fumes, even if you dont smell fumes you need to venilate. I mean why even risk it right. In a few more years people will start to see the effects of those nacious fumes. You will see a gigantic push in the Latex market due to the unsafeness of those printers. BETTER SAFE THEN SORRY

dman0427

My desk is 48" away from my ValueJet. I was really getting a lot of fumes...and I was feeling a little too good while I worked...(great for designing wild stuff though).

Anyways. I installed dual range hoods I bought at Home Depot and vented them outside. They work GREAT. Cant smell a thing when they're on. Forget to turn them on and it's a quick trip to my happy place. lol A pretty cool setup if I do say so myself!

You have pics of the hoods & ventilation?