• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

solvent resistant tubing

printmares

Does anyone know the type (material) of tubing the Falcon Outdoor-1 or other solvent ink printers use?

All of the resellers list it as 'solvent resistant tubing' with very little description other than dimensions.

-Thanks

Vinylman

I believe the tubing you're referring to is called Tygon. It is specifically manufactured for the chemical industry. The major printing equipment companies love to cloak this in mysterious jargon so they can sell it to you at 10 to 20 times what it cost them. If you live near a large city, just do a Google search for chemical tubing sales.

One of the problems that I've run into, and many others, is that most of the tubing in today's digital printers come in metric sizes. Sometimes finding the exact metric size that you need for the inside and outside to mentions can pose a bit of a problem. That being said, research will generally provide you with the source that can help you buy what you're looking for at a price that is considerably less than what the OEM parts will cost you.

Hope this helps somewhat.

you might try this site http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23367&catid=864

You need to check with U.S. Plastics, but if they approve it this is the product that you're looking for.http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=65735&catid=864

Last edited:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Tygon is the best for this. Not really sure what specifically some of the other types are though. I know pumps usually have tygon tubing, a bulk system I recently added came with all tygon.

jhanson

The usual grade of Tygon (2375) will work in the peristaltic pumps for a while, but it's a little more rigid than the OEM tubing which is made in Japan if I recall, and will burst after several weeks of use. (That's based on experimentation in a Toucan LT).

The white latex tubing used in the Falcon and Falcon II printers is much softer. Using Tygon in those machines can also cause pump jams, since the motors are not as strong as the ones on the LT.

However, if it's cheap pumps you're after, the Chinese-made aftermarket pumps seem to run decently well for a little while. You won't get the full 6 month+ lifespan of a Mutoh OEM pump, but it just depends on how much you buy them for and how long they last.

RG

When I measure the white,oem, pump tubing for my FOJ printer, I get 5/32" OD and 5/64" ID. Does anyone else come up with different specs? It's not easy to find this size.

RG

I believe it's actually 2mm ID and 4mm OD

That seems about right. 5/64" = 1.9844mm and 5/32" = 3.9688mm.
I'd rather have a slightly larger ID, if possible, because my black tube gets plugged up sometimes. But, there is not room for a tube any larger than 5/32" (4mm) OD.

printmares

Thanks for the many replies. As the Falcon Outdoor and other models are phased out it seems like we'll be juiced for parts replacement unless we know the specs or make-shift suitable replacements.

It seems like the main ink supply lines hold up and don't need to be cleaned/replaced as often and the pump/waste tubing is worth replacing 'more frequently'.

It did not measure exact whole metric sizes, but they were close to the fractional sizes mentioned.

jhanson mentions a stronger, more rigid oem tygon (oem spec unkown) to be less apt to fail. That sounds like the softer tygon materials may be get chewed up from the pulsed loads of solvents.

Also, the routing arrangements of tubing in the outdoor seems to be pinched/restricted. I also read somewhere that the some of the lines were not all that 'solvent resistant' when solvent ink was introduced. From the outdoor documentation for the ultra change over its seems that only the tubes were replaced (?)

printmares

Are you saying that its oem latex tubing (solvent resistant) that is inside (in contact with the rollers)?

I did not see that sold as a sererate part, but may have to find it through the sources that you and everyone suggest.

I was looking at an older pump that was replaced and did not see any wear on the internal parts other than on the tube. Some had mentioned that the non-solvent resistant gear may break down from the ink or cleaner, but I did not see that.

Thanks, again.

jhanson

The original Falcon and Falcon II pumps used latex tubing. In the solvent models, it was "double coated" with something to give it solvent resistance.

The Toucan LT used a Tygon-like Japanese tubing. Tygon fits, but it's stiffer and breaks faster.

The white gear inside the pumps will not break down from the solvent, but the black plastic housing and black gears are ABS plastic and will soften with exposure. Some of the newer Chinese reproductions use solvent resistant housings, and their tubing is decent for the price nowadays. If you go the Chinese pump route, get plenty of extra tubing, and use white lithium grease to lubricate it whenever you replace the tubing.

The #1 killer of these pumps is actually their own gears. If the tubing starts brushing against the teeth, it will wear through the tubing very quickly. Some aftermarket pumps come with protective Teflon sheets, or raised edges that prevent that from happening -- look for those models if you can find them.