• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solvent smell on Epson S80600L's

Kemble

I'm looking to purchase (2) Epson S80600L's and put them in a room that is about 600 sqft. Our CEO is very concerned with the fumes the printers will put out and make their way into the drop down ceiling and into the office space. Will it be a concern in this small amount of space and what would you recommend to keep the room free from fumes? I understand most will say, "you'll get used to it", I get it, I've been doing this for 25yrs myself, however, that's not something I can tell my CEO. I need to present a solution if I am to get the signature on the dotted line.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I need to present a solution if I am to get the signature on the dotted line.
Knowing the fumes are heavier than air, a solution should be to utilize the best of an air scrubber and along with forcefully venting to the out of doors. It's likely the HVAC comes from above, so that's helpful but be sure to account for any air return as Notarealsignguy has mentioned.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
I have (2) Epson S80600L's and you can smell them faintly. I do have a air scrubber in the room with no issues. Smell is not bad enough to worry about..

I love the Epson so far.

ProColorGraphics

I have (3) of these in the room with my Epson UV and S80. They seem to do the trick.

Kemble

I have (3) of these in the room with my Epson UV and S80. They seem to do the trick.
What size is the room your printers are in?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We have (1) S60600 in a 2500 sqft shop, and when printing heavy coverage/long runs I can taste the ink in the upstairs office, which is almost completely sealed off from the production area.

That's with lots of ceiling fans going and an air scrubber beside the printer.

CanuckSigns

We have (1) S60600 in a 2500 sqft shop, and when printing heavy coverage/long runs I can taste the ink in the upstairs office, which is almost completely sealed off from the production area.

That's with lots of ceiling fans going and an air scrubber beside the printer.
Same, our S80600 is in it's own room 25'x20' and if i'm printing heavy coverage I can;t be in the room for more than 10 minutes without getting a headache, if you are printing on 3M IJ40c, the smell of the vinyl and ink lingers in our shop for almost a week for some reason...

Saturn

Aging Member
I don't have a propper scrubber, but I do have the printer located to close to an exhaust fan that runs whenever the printer does. Not great for Summers and Winters, but saves the brain cells. I'd definitely look in to that Amaircare if I couldn't vent it. Ours is in a 500 sq ft room, and definitely needs the exhaust when doing more than just a few minutes printing.

MNT_Printhead

Working among the Corporate Lizard People
About a decade ago I ran two Epson GS6000s in a 10x20ft room, I'd leave the door to the office area so people could walk in or walk by and see me working. Long story short, someone complained the smell was making them sick and that led to a big adventure that resulted in having an air quality test done with all doors closed to the shop and not using the air scrubber for $14k in 2010-12 dollars that showed the air in my shop was cleaner than the air outside of the building after about 9 months of discussion and meetings with the vinyl manufacturer we used. I'll have to check my old drives to see if I can find the report, but it was posted here around that time frame.