• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solvent vs Latex.

petesign

I would have gone latex, but my print room is small.. the thing would fry me... and the climate control isnt all that great either.

ProColorGraphics

I have had only latex since the L25500 came out. A year ago, I decided to add in an Epson S70 with the 10 color setup. The quality is amazing and have the white/silver have been a plus for me too. Of course, everyones situation is different. I have recently sold my last latex, the 360, and will be bringing in a new Epson S80. I think it depends a lot on what you like and what you need. There are things about the latex I miss and things I don't miss. I will admit that I think the latex was easier to use, but I would never get the quality out of it that I can out of my Epson. But I don't think it's really an apples-to-apples comparison either.

jw92gagt

There are advantages and disadvantages to both ink types. My preference, installing the gamut over the years including both LATEX, SOLVENT, & UV is a SOLVENT printer.

Yes solvent/eco solvent is not instantly dry, but the quality and consistency out performs any LATEX. In addition to the Maint Consumables you will need to constantly buy, the no Maintenance is nice, but costly! LATEX printers are designed to also be a consumable. MAX Life 3-4 yrs, then throw it away. There are still JV3's and SP300's I run in to every day running like champs. Most of the LATEX units I have installed were DOA, and if not DOA they had some sort of issue that prevented the end user from getting consistent quality prints, and getting a resolution from HP meant threatening litigation, which usually ended up with HP throwing the customer a new printer, in which case I have had second LATEX printers be DOA. NOT saying thats never happened with a SOLVENT, but the ratios are way less than that of a LATEX. Aside from this, the LATEX units require constant babysitting to prevent jams as a result of the intense heat, which temps are lower on the latest generation of 300 & 500 series LATEX units, but still up there. This HEAT also presents a problem with Print to Cut Registration, and even Tiled Panels on wraps, I have had many cases of this and the only logical explanation was the media has shrunk from the heat. Lower the heat, and amazingly the registration issues went away. Only prob with lowering heat, now your ink doesn't cure, its either oily & not fully cured and will fail prematurely. Who wants to play this much with a printer to get it to just print your jobs. The time you save in being instantly dry, is quickly ate up by all the rework, reloading, and magic dancing you will now be having to do. Oh ye and if you are going to print tiles in excess of 15' and on the take up reel make sure you install the retro fit offset weight kit to the dancer bar on the LATEX, again too much heat, and too much weight on the tension bar stretches the media, again making registration a bear. Another issue with latex is getting consistent solid color. Some people experience vertical bands or what appears to be drop out in many darker colors. What HP wont tell you is that this is a result of inconsistent heat coverage inside of the printer, which will result in this effect. Doesn't matter how many calibrations you perform, how many profiles you create, you are still left with a crap print, and always a grainy print, no matter what mode you use. LATEX ink also does not stretch as well as SOLVENT ink, so test your wrap on that MINI or Beetle before you commit!

Not knocking HP here, they have a good concept and its a work in progress, and maybe one day all the stars will align for them, and when they do, I will have to consider LATEX again, but for now, I am not SOLD with the experiences I have had with them, and as stated, I have installed hundreds of LATEX units over years starting with the L25500, to the L570's. If you want a solid Tried and True printer, I would suggest a EPSON, MIMAKI, or a ROLAND printer. The comparison chart below is really for any Solvent Printer, but all things to consider before making the investment.

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 10.55.43 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 10.55.56 PM.png

Last edited:

nate

The comparison chart below is really for any Solvent Printer, but all things to consider before making the investment.

You do realize this "informational chart" (and I use informational loosely) is from Roland. They're going to be as fair and honest about latex as a die hard Ford fan is of a Chevy, a Baptist of a Mormon, a Bernie Sanders supporter of a Trump supporter, etc.... Nothing to see here except a colorful half truth.

Robert Gruner

You do realize this "informational chart" (and I use informational loosely) is from Roland. They're going to be as fair and honest about latex as a die hard Ford fan is of a Chevy, a Baptist of a Mormon, a Bernie Sanders supporter of a Trump supporter, etc.... Nothing to see here except a colorful half truth.
Bingo Nate! :) Please keep in mind that JW92gagt has also sold 100's (maybe thousands?) of latex beginning with the L25500...but, unfortunately, he couldn't make the $$$margins he made on all those eco-solvent printers he sold. First it was Aqueous Ink...then Eco/Mild Solvent...then Latex...In retrospect, they've all made a pretty good run in the industry. What's next?

equippaint

I dont think what they are saying is exactly untruthful but agree you cant hang your hat on marketing materials. You can make a valid argument for just about anything and this one can be flipped on its head just as easily in favor of latex. I'd like to know Roland's long term strategy because if HP ever comes out with a print/cut combo it will put a real big dent in Roland. I assume that Mimaki will continue developing latex and theres a possibility they will be first to market with a print/cut. I know that many here don't like the combo machine but the fact is many people do and buy them so Roland and Mimaki will always have that market.

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a print/lam combo machine that would spit out a laminated print, not liquid lam either. It couldnt be that hard to do.

bannertime

I dont think what they are saying is exactly untruthful but agree you cant hang your hat on marketing materials. You can make a valid argument for just about anything and this one can be flipped on its head just as easily in favor of latex. I'd like to know Roland's long term strategy because if HP ever comes out with a print/cut combo it will put a real big dent in Roland. I assume that Mimaki will continue developing latex and theres a possibility they will be first to market with a print/cut. I know that many here don't like the combo machine but the fact is many people do and buy them so Roland and Mimaki will always have that market.

I'm waiting for someone to come out with a print/lam combo machine that would spit out a laminated print, not liquid lam either. It couldnt be that hard to do.

Yup, each machine has it's distinct advantages. Some people are die hard followers that their machine's advantage is of the utmost importance. However, it's just not the case.

Also, that would be cool, but I imagine it'd be twice the size of most 64in machines.