• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solvex Perf and Lamex lam...

S

scarface

Hey guys, I read some threads on this and am convinced it's perfect for the office window job i have coming up later this week.

Now, i laminate my digital prints with the BS since i don't have a laminate and wondered if i can laminate the Solvex with Lamex with the BS just as well?

Thanks!

S

scarface

Nice, Thank you!

The outdoor durability of the vinyl is 1 year but the lam is 5 year, what is the expected life i can expect to tell the customer?

Letterbox Mike

Yeah, make sure it's optically clear.

Durability will depend on sunlight exposure and some other factors. I wouldn't tell them it'll last more than a year, but it very well may. We've had one 2500 s.f. job on Solvex perf, unlaminated, facing west that's been up for 3.5 years and still looks as good as new. We have another one that's laminated, facing south, that's been up for 9 months and is starting to wear and fade a little bit. So it all depends.

S

scarface

Alright cool, What are you guys doing about profiles? I'm using versaworks and have a SP300i versacamm. Fellers ICC profile search came up with nothing for my machine.

Letterbox Mike

You should be able to get away with any glossy calendered vinyl profile. There's no way to hit truly accurate color with perf simply because of it's very nature, so whatever doesn't soak it with too much ink should be fine. Sometimes on really colorful images I'll bump the saturation a bit, perf can have a tendency to not be as vibrant because of all the holes...

S

scarface

Nice, I'll try the 3651 profile which prints great on Concept 203 as well.

I have been reading it's recommended to trim back 1/4" from any edges but what are my options for office windows? The customer doesn't want anyone being able to see in and steal anything in his office so i'm not really liking a 1/4" being taken off each side.

I see 3M makes edge sealing tape, how does that work? Just apply perf, trim to edge and then apply it?

Thanks!

Jackpine

You can just strip the clear lam you have for edge sealing. Yes, trim and apply.
Nice, I'll try the 3651 profile which prints great on Concept 203 as well.

I have been reading it's recommended to trim back 1/4" from any edges but what are my options for office windows? The customer doesn't want anyone being able to see in and steal anything in his office so i'm not really liking a 1/4" being taken off each side.

I see 3M makes edge sealing tape, how does that work? Just apply perf, trim to edge and then apply it?

Thanks!

Jackpine

You are only printing on 50% of the vinyl. I print high quality 720x720 that steps the material slow and use a Concept 203 profile (General Formulation). The ink load is 65% and the limit is 130% and with Lamex optical clear UV laminate have had no problems. I have some going on 4 years and still look good. Florida has some strong UV, MD not so much. I tell the customer 1 to 2 years but expect longer.

S

scarface

How did you seal your edges? With strips of the clear lam?

I'm just a little uneasy about trimming it back 1/4" all around because then you can see through that much of it.

smdgrfx

I used some Solvex perf today and it turned out pretty good. The customer wanted to do it on the cheap, so no laminate. I use Triangle inks on my Mimaki and I usually have pretty good results without laminate. Color will last a year and that's all I told her it was good for. She was fine with that and said she will probably want to change it in 6 months anyway. I used the 3M edge sealer, but it makes the edges a little shiny. I saw this post after the fact and I'm going to look into the clear edge trim. I just happened to have another shop owner over at the time of installation and he did say that the color out of my Mimaki was much more vibrant than what he was getting out of his Versacamm. I know there are many factors in this, but one of the things he noticed was that the Triangle inks (my machine) leave a semi-gloss finish and his Versacam leaves a flat finish using the same material. About 10 minutes after printing my sample, I peeled it off the backing paper and noticed the ink left behind was all dry. No mess (I saw another post that some people warned of messy ink not drying so quick)

Another installation note: I did dry installation. No laminate. No transfer tape. No heat. I put the print against the window, taped a hinge right down the middle. Did the left side first and then the right. I was able to pull the material just enough and make it nice and smooth over the contours. Trimmed it with my exacto all the way to the edge. The vehicle was a 2002 Chevy Suburban. 27" x 62" Roughly...It took me about 15-20 minutes total install time.

gbarker

I used Solvex Perf and Lamex lam on my personal truck. It lasted well over 2 years and I pulled it off just because I didn't want it anymore.

Jackpine

Yes...with strips. I have also hand trimmed the contour of the print and then laminated and hand trimmed the laminate allowing an overlap. This depends on the layout and design.
How did you seal your edges? With strips of the clear lam?

I'm just a little uneasy about trimming it back 1/4" all around because then you can see through that much of it.

J

john1

Sorry for bumping a old thread but i just placed a order for the solvex perf and lamex combo. It will be here tomorrow and i'm excited to see how it works out on my personal vehicle.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
My perf is better than solvex and has the same warranty as Clear Focus and only cost $0.41 a sq.ft.