• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Solyx film installation

Moze

Precision Sign Services
They have a ton of films, but assuming you're talking about frosted or dusted type, apply wet, the same as other brands.

J Hill Designs

They have a ton of films, but assuming you're talking about frosted or dusted type, apply wet, the same as other brands.

its the 'white random lines' but appears to be sheeted just like etched etc. according to their install guide it seems straighforward wet-as-hell install, just looking for RWE

thanks for the reply moze

soundhound

I have done 1,000s of feet of solyx!

A few drops of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo per gallon will save your hands (do not use detergent!), and a few good wet sprayers.

Cover the edge of a squeegee with wide fuzzy velcro for first squeegee run (to set the film in place) then:

(and the toughest and perhaps most important)... get the special tool!

http://www.windowtint.com/collectio...ls/products/unger-pro-handle-w-blue-max-blade

This is just one of the options of this type of tool. but you need something to hold one of those max blades and give it some torque.

When you smooth the film lightly with this tool... you are pretty much done.

Last advice- I bring along gorilla tape to hold large pieces still until I squeegee. Just make sure to remove it quickly or there will be cleanup.

J Hill Designs

A few drops of Johnson & Johnson baby shampoo per gallon will save your hands (do not use detergent!), and a few good wet sprayers.

Cover the edge of a squeegee with wide fuzzy velcro for first squeegee run (to set the film in place) then:

(and the toughest and perhaps most important)... get the special tool!

http://www.windowtint.com/collectio...ls/products/unger-pro-handle-w-blue-max-blade

This is just one of the options of this type of tool. but you need something to hold one of those max blades and give it some torque.

When you smooth the film lightly with this tool... you are pretty much done.

Last advice- I bring along gorilla tape to hold large pieces still until I squeegee. Just make sure to remove it quickly or there will be cleanup.

thanks!

soundhound

actually I use more than a few drops of baby shampoo

more like 1/2 teaspoon per gallon... and note the color.

If the solyx doesnt slide easily enough, youcan add a little more.

99 percent of Solyx Films are very Rigid or brittle and easy to crease or zipper, unlike vinyl or 3m Frosted or dusted Crystal you cant get those out.....take your time and be careful of creaseing near the corners when pressing it out. I also leave a few inches from edge not pressed out, dog ear clip the corner to take and then trim the window out with whitecard at a 45 degree angle and then take a Paper towel wrap around you white card and "tap out" the remaining inch or two of water on the edges.

+1 to Bluemax Press out blade/handle, must have for thick Films (if its soft like Dusted Crystal/Vinyl i use a black Unger window cleaner squeegee)

J Hill Designs

99 percent of Solyx Films are very Rigid or brittle and easy to crease or zipper, unlike vinyl or 3m Frosted or dusted Crystal you cant get those out.....take your time and be careful of creaseing near the corners when pressing it out. I also leave a few inches from edge not pressed out, dog ear clip the corner to take and then trim the window out with whitecard at a 45 degree angle and then take a Paper towel wrap around you white card and "tap out" the remaining inch or two of water on the edges.

+1 to Bluemax Press out blade/handle, must have for thick Films (if its soft like Dusted Crystal/Vinyl i use a black Unger window cleaner squeegee)

good to know, thank you.