• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some basic vinyl care/shipping questions...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Scenario: Large project, hundreds of 5'h x 3'w vinyl graphics are being rolled up on a tube and shipped to installers.

Issue 1: The vinyl was rolled onto the tubes but not taped down, causing it to come slightly unrolled during shipping. This in turn caused some of the premask and/or carrier to separate from the vinyl.

Issue 2: The vinyl was rolled onto the tube but a layer of protective foam was rolled up with the last 6"-12" and then completely around the whole thing. Nice because it's protecting it, however that layer of foam caused additional airspace (additional to the gaps that occurred due to not being tightly rolled and taped down) causing more separation.

Result: Remove the vinyl from the tube, hang to install, and there are now creases and bubbles due to the separation of the layers.

Questions/Thoughts:

My understanding is that the correct way to ship vinyl like this is to roll it very tightly onto the tube and tape the finishing edge down so that it cannot unroll.

Once premask is applied to vinyl prints/graphics/etc., is there a recommended time it should (or shouldn't be) rolled up? I don't know how long these have been sitting, but my understanding is that in general, once premask is applied, the vinyl should be stored flat whenever possible. So if these have been rolled up and in storage for more than the recommended time, it's only compounding the issues above.

In your experience is there a ballpark amount of time when rolled up vinyl with applied premask will begin having separation issues? ie: If it sits for much more than three days, you're going to have issues....?

Just venting/looking for thoughts and furthering my education. :smile:

Thanks!

Bill Modzel

I trim the premask a bit longer than the graphic and fold it over the edge to hold it together. You just have to trim the edge off to release it when applying. Than, the graphic is rolled with the premask on the outside of the roll.
I had a 5' roll of cut vinyl on the shelf about a year. It was for a company that we do quite a few vehicles for and we accidently cut a piece twice. I unrolled it last Saturday and it was absolutely fine. No tunnels,no bubbles and no separation. Applied just fine.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Thank you for your response.

The premask used in this case is a 3M product with "low-tack" adhesive. I'm assuming that has something to do with it separating from the vinyl.