• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some country fun for a good cause........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yesterday we went to a 'COW PATTY PARTY'.

For those of you who never heard of it..... it's a party of food, drink and fun & games with the highlight being about 40 head of cows and betting on where they're gonna pooh to win money. ALL the proceeds go to the Cattleman's Association and this year it went to cattlemen out in the Midwest who lost like 30,000 head last year due to a storm. Every year they make these contributions around the country and to me, this is a good way of giving back to our own people.

Other than the fun, conversation, good home cooked food..... the cheering of cows to take a crap in your predetermined square is so funny. $10 a pop gives you a square of your choosing. If the cow comes into the arena and plops down a chip on your square, first place was I think $475. Second was $375 and 3rd was $250. Ya never heard grown people cheering for cows to crap more than here. Everyone's yelling, go now.... go now..... go now. C'mon, sh!t in my box. Go... go.... go.... go...... When you finally see the tail raised and then the squish-squash of a cow chip being formed, the winner is instantly $475 richer. So on, down the line. After three places have been marked, the rest are let in and then no one cares where they flop anymore..... haha.

Here's some of the fun. This is a farm across the road from where we live. These are all dairy cows. Jack and Sally own about 65 head and two bulls. So many people own horses and cows around us and ya know what, in our 27 years living there, we've never smelled it once. Down the road, we buy raw milk from a guy and I've never tasted milk any better than his. It's totally organic and no corn or feed, just hay and grass. Yes, it's a wonderful world with friends all around you.

Before they were left in the tiny coral- patty-1-d.jpg ya can see the grid on the ground- patty-2 d.jpg Letting them in a little at a time. patty-3-d.jpg That's Jack with the black hat.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Kudos for the country life. I absolutely love living "beyond the sidewalks".

It's sad to note that a good number of people are totally clueless as to what really goes into (and comes out of) our four legged farm friends...both the yummy and not so yummy.

And as for farm-fresh milk...let me be the first to agree...especially when that delicious layer of cream becomes the holy grail of whomever gets first dibs on the milk jar. Farm-fresh eggs are also no comparison to their rather anemic supermarket counterparts.

And while we're on the subject, nothing beats hive-fresh honey on a warm piece of toast (with rich, dark coffee of course) on a cool autumn evening.

JB

Marlene

our town every year has the dairy festival. they paint a grid with number on main st and let out a Holstein on the last day of the event. you buy a gird and hope the cow poops in it. nothing like sitting on a curb on main st waiting for a cow to poop. sounds like you had fun and ould lend a hand to those who need it