Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some customers...

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by IsItFasst, Mar 3, 2020.

1. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    In my 20 years in business this may be the oddest customer I have dealt with. I made some custom wheel center cap decals for a customer. Circular in shape and printed on brushed aluminum material. Turned out great looking. Customer had asked a few questions before placing the order in which I answered them. Nothing odd in those emails.

I get a response a week later complaining that my decals were cheap stickers made of paper and the lamination was coming off almost instantly after the installed them. "Totally disappointed and had to take few days to respond because I was so angry with the results" the customer stated. I stated I was confused about the paper statement because the brushed aluminum material was the furthest thing from any material we offer that looks like paper (we actually don't offer any paper material). We do use clear application tape so I thought that may be the problem with the "lamination" coming off right after they installed it. I explained that the instructions explain that the application tape comes off after the install thinking that would be the biggest issue they had. Nope...

The response from the wife was "the instructions were too complicated so her husband refused to read them". He decided just to hand cut the square background/app tape into a circle and then GLUE, yes glue the paper backing, decal and application tape to the wheel. 8| That was a tough email to respond to.

Tags:
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 7
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 6
  2. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    This is the sort of guy that is the main reason they have to put “may contain peanuts” on bags of peanuts

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 9
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I take it, this was a once and done kinda customer. I'd like to see him line some shelves at home for his wife. She can send the e-mail directly to him.................

4. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Unless you enjoy having your time wasted, just say no to anything involving personal vehicles.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    And I should add their original thought to fix their mistake was just make them slightly bigger to cover up the mess. o_O

6. Jburns

Jburns Active Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Denver
    what a frustrating customer.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  7. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    sooo... what was your response? I wana hear

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. ikarasu

ikarasu Very Active Member

Jun 10, 2016
    Port Coquitlam, bc
    I cant imagine even 1 of my customers would read that length of a pdf :)

We have a small 1 page PDF we made inhouse - We dont hand it out much because we usually do all our own installs. It's something like this - (I just googled it now, ours looks nicer / built to our company)

[​IMG]
    https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/p...3tXkmm9JubYv3RwHPUnlNQMeFDg5NZqcrmKXc55avr5Mk
    But it's a short 4-5 step page with photos showing them how to do it. On the back has some "Do's and don'ts" that we've collected over the years... such as a dont apply a small vinyl decal to a window soaked in windex, etc.

No matter how your instructions are, you'll always run across someone who doesnt read it, then shows up wanting a replacement decal because the last one was defective though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  10. IsItFasst

IsItFasst Member

Jan 16, 2008
    USA
    We have one page installation instructions on the back of our the receipts we print and send to our customers. But it also states how to find more detailed instructions in the help section on our site. We show both top hinge and center hinge installation methods with step by step pictures of an install. We use a lot of standard clear app tape so that is the biggest mistake by customers is not knowing it needs to come off. But luckily most customers "get it".

As for the customer I'm talking about, I just agreed to resend them since they now understand how these work (though I'm really not 100% sure they will get it right next time).

11. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    I guess you won't be trying to sell to any more members of Congress after this.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Z SIGNS

Z SIGNS Very Active Member

Feb 14, 2009
    Trenton NJ
    Thank you for reminding me to always run away these scenarios.

13. Modern Ink Signs

Modern Ink Signs Premium Subscriber

Jun 27, 2008
    Waukesha, WI
    You can’t cure stupid!

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    No matter how simple your instructions are, you'll eventually run into someone even more simple than the instructions. Sometimes you just can't win.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  15. jimbug72

jimbug72 Member

Oct 25, 2008
    South Carolina
    I wonder what kind of glue he used... Those types of customers do sometimes make me want to smack my head against the wall, but my wife genuinely does enjoy hearing my stories about them in the evenings.

16. Geneva Olson

Geneva Olson Expert Storyteller

Sep 3, 2019
    Webster, TX
    "The instructions were too complicated so her husband refused to read them". Way to hold accountability.

17. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Some years ago I installed a bunch of white vinyl with clear transfer tape on some beauty salons windows, I told my customer that I'd be back later that afternoon to remove the transfer tape, because the transfer tape started to fall off by it's self the customer thought It was wrong, so she scraped most of It off the windows and when I went back that afternoon It was shocking to see what she had done, after telling her It was fine that the transfer tape was falling off, now I have to charge her double If she wanted me to redo it.

18. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    Only double..........
    this definitely sounds like a 3x (or more) than the original price to fix

on a side note, when we know we have to come back to complete the project.
    we have created decals that we stick to the project. UNDER CONSTRUCTION - DO NOT TOUCH

19. d fleming

d fleming Very Active Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Middleburg, Florida
    Some people are only alive because of handrails.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 3