• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some days I love my job....

TwoNine

Hi All -

Well there are some days when I wish customers would just let us do what we do best....Make signs. Instead, more often than not, as many of you know, the customer comes in with their logo that their cousins friends uncle who is a 'graphic designer' designed up for them and they are unwilling to budge on changes.

BUT! We have been working with a lady who owns a little cafe for about 6 months or so. She didn't have the cash when she first opened to replace her faces in a 6' x 6' lit cabinet. So we kind of 'shelved' her job and moved on...So we did a removal the other day and had a piece of Lexan that would fit her sign and called her to see if she wanted to buy this old piece of lexan and have it re-lettered to try and save her some money and finally get a sign up for her. (She has none currently - and she is in a HEAVY traffic area right next to the train station full of pedestrians and also passing cars (30 mph road).

Turns out - she actually did have money finally for brand new faces and had been meaning to call us - and gave us our deposit and her 'logo'. So two nights ago - I was just playing around with some sketches and started sketching out a logo for her (even though she didn't pay us for any design work)...And I thought it turned out pretty nice - so we scanned it in and sent it to her just to see if she would be interested in switching her logo up.

AND SHE DID!!! Couldn't believe it! She absolutely loved it. So - now it looks as though we are doing new window perfs, menus, menu boards, business cards, a-frames, etc. - All because we went a little above and beyond. Sometimes it pays to be nice.

And ya know - I'm the first one to bi___ and complain when customers come in with the 1" high business card logo, the ignorance to different options, when it's time to pay taxes, unemployment insurance, L&I, etc, etc...

But I forget sometimes how rewarding it is to really be able to help out someone who truly appreciates it. As is the case here. Some days I love working for myself - and being able to go above and beyond and really make a difference in someones life. Which I truly believe is possible when designing for someone's business...Their dream...Their everything in some cases. Thus our tagline and company motto: "Dare to dream."

So I just wanted to share this little story. Maybe some of you can relate. So the next time "that guy" comes in wanting his "reverse cut channel letters that spin on horse hair while protruding in and out from his waterfall" - I'm gonna try to remember that SOME DAYS we get to do what we like.....Others....Not so much.

Thanks for listening (reading).

-Chad
S101_boxcarGrill030112.jpg

SD&F

I truly luv those days when it all works out and you have a smile across your face when you leave work.
HOPE EVERYONE HAS A FANTASTIC WEEKEND!!!!!

JKADesigns

Congratulations... sometimes free design work pays off... do it on nights and weekends... I love to play around on the computer, gives me something more constructive to do than sit on my *** reading the news. :) You can always make the suggestions and then make the moola if they like it!