• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some more handmade signs by Fatboy.Please give crit.

Fatboy

Hi there guys. I love this site.Learning so much already.Some more pics.

Attachments

• 22042009(002).jpg
    22042009(002).jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 138
  • 22042009(012).jpg
    22042009(012).jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 13082009(006).jpg
    13082009(006).jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 114

neato

Are these painted? Is that why you call them handmade?

I like the shapes, and the contrast is very good. I think your eye for good layout needs a little tuning.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but a good book is 'Mastering Layout' by Mike Stevens. I think you would gain a lot by reading that book.

Jillbeans

While I do like your sign blanks, I have been taught to make the shape of the sign fit the layout, not the other way around.
I would seriously consider losing the decoupage elements and trying to find suitable clipart to cut.
I would also recommend not running all the lettering to the edges of the signs.
Choose what you want to stand out (probably the street number) and highlight it in some way.
Here I used a panel.
I chose the most confusing of your examples to redraw.
Hopefully I have it in the right order. My fonts are all a bit thin.
You might also want to consider the use of smalts (tiny glass beads) or learning to apply gold leaf. That could really increase the selling price of your signs after you learn to do simple effective layouts.
The second pic is one using an HDU sign blank purchased from a member here.
I used both matte and gloss paints, gilded gorilla glue, and smalts.
Love....Jill

Attachments

• Graphic1.jpg
    Graphic1.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCF3882.JPG
    DSCF3882.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 96

Fatboy

While I do like your sign blanks, I have been taught to make the shape of the sign fit the layout, not the other way around.
I would seriously consider losing the decoupage elements and trying to find suitable clipart to cut.
I would also recommend not running all the lettering to the edges of the signs.
Choose what you want to stand out (probably the street number) and highlight it in some way.
Here I used a panel.
I chose the most confusing of your examples to redraw.
Hopefully I have it in the right order. My fonts are all a bit thin.
You might also want to consider the use of smalts (tiny glass beads) or learning to apply gold leaf. That could really increase the selling price of your signs after you learn to do simple effective layouts.
The second pic is one using an HDU sign blank purchased from a member here.
I used both matte and gloss paints, gilded gorilla glue, and smalts.
Love....Jill

Thank you Jill. Good points

Craig Sjoquist

Agrees with above statements .... and yes ..READ... Mike Stevens Mastering Layout ... now grab what money you have and buy that book .... since you seemed to have some desire to do this right, your ability's jump 10 times with practice

Was taught those principles in sign school, Then Mike created the book couple years later.

Lunatic Taskbar

Another +1 for Mike Stevens

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Layout-Art-Eye-Appeal/dp/091138068X

Try to place the number where the blank arches up. Look at the shape of the blank and design to that. You also need to consider what is important when people look at the signs. The chances are there are already on the correct street. So thats not the main priority, But the Number is, so make that nice and visible. It may be worth considering the number and surname. If I was looking for 123 any-street to go and visit Mr Anyone. I would find the street fairly easy but once i'm there i'm looking for clues to the narrow it down even further. I have a number and a name. So I am looking for 123 and Anyone.

So consider:
Anyone

Just my 2c

Ian

neato

Ok, here's some specifics. Again, I'm not trying to bash you at all. You're well on your way and the fact that you're asking for advice and taking it says alot about your determination.

And I really like the looks of the blanks. I think there could be a market for those. :)

Attachments

• critique.jpg
    critique.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 105

Fatboy

Man I tell you what...you guys are awesome. I am really touched by the trouble you guys take to help someone out.Hope that I can do the same for newbies one day

Fatboy

Ok, here's some specifics. Again, I'm not trying to bash you at all. You're well on your way and the fact that you're asking for advice and taking it says alot about your determination.

And I really like the looks of the blanks. I think there could be a market for those. :)

Thank you very much. Please visit www.housesigns.co.za to see all my shapes

iSign

Man I tell you what...you guys are awesome. I am really touched by the trouble you guys take to help someone out.Hope that I can do the same for newbies one day

...why wait, "some day" is here... show us the mold making process!!

A lot of us may have done a few more layouts then you, but I'm sure the majority (including me) have never made a mold!

CheapVehicleWrap

The BEST place to learn and buy supplies for mold making is smoothon.com Spend some time watching the videos. The customer support is GREAT as their products can be confusing to figure out what you need for a particular project. Some of their products can be found local in the better arts & crafts stores too. Most of the movie guys use their stuff for props, faces etc.