• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Some people have nerve....

gabagoo

I get a call from the purchasing person at a company that is owned by a buddy of mines wifes family.

They do very well and are not hard up for anything.

It's one of those requests you would do for a large customer but for a once every 2 year customer I usually send them to a smaller shop that doesn't mind dancing on a dime for a $150 order.

they want 5 paper sized signs on 1/8 pvc. I priced it out very reasonably, but one had a custom little graphic and I told them it would be an extra $20..yup a whole double sawbuck to do the custom graphic.

Guy emails me back that my price is good and could he see a layout of the sign with the custom graphic.

OK, I set both signs up and send him a pdf file.

Now he emails me and writes that the layouts look good but with the custom graphic price it brings my price up to the Seton catalogue price. can I do better and he will send me a P.O. immediately.

Are you efin serious?!!!!

I copied and pasted from his previous email that the price looks good please send a proof and e-mailed it right back to him and asked how this statement means I have to cut my price?

what an absolute douche bag.... question is....did the family have any idea he did this?

I don't need their business whatsover so I may just tell him to go screw himself.

I am sure Seton does not have the graphic i did nor do they cahrge so little on custom made signs...

rjssigns

I tell them: Knock yourself up...umm out.

We no longer have clients that try to pinch the sh*t out of a Buffalo Nickel.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
Just today I had a trucking company order some letters for a new driver. The owner picked them up here and gave them to the new driver at their office. They ordered white letters and the driver installed them on his WHITE truck. She had the nerve to call and ask if she would have to pay for new ones in red because they could barely see the other ones.

Craig Sjoquist

Just give them the price..No need to be arrogant & burn bridges, just because they want to be ... excuse

But this type of situations can burn you out & you really just have to be black & white about it & move on

2B

had one of those today also, I took the order and have OCD about info gathering so know what was written down.

ordered a sign on Monday, 2 lines for sale, phone #, did a rough pen mock up, repeated the information back to her, then had her provide contact information (same# different part of the form). did a color proof and e-mailed same day, so she could proof sign asap, got a call after hours that a 3rd line needs to be added.

Tuesday the cousin came in and wanted to know where the sign was......... reply to them we were called AFTER hours and told to change the design, here is what is was changed to. we do not make the products until have confirmation (email, written)
Cousin signed off on the changed proof and said would be back Thurs late afternoon to pick-up.

Original person called today and demanded to know why there was a wrong # on the sign and when will the correct sign will be ready. FREE of charge BTW. which she was told this is the information you provided and your cousin signed off saying the sign was correct, and they would be picking up this afternoon. Which caused her to go off about how she will never use us (never used us before Monday) and tell everyone how horrible we are. etc... etc... etc...

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Just today I had a trucking company order some letters for a new driver. The owner picked them up here and gave them to the new driver at their office. They ordered white letters and the driver installed them on his WHITE truck. She had the nerve to call and ask if she would have to pay for new ones in red because they could barely see the other ones.

Maybe suggest they paint the truck red so the letters really "pop". :)

qmr55

Which caused her to go off about how she will never use us (never used us before Monday) and tell everyone how horrible we are. etc... etc... etc...

Like we haven't all heard that one before...lmao

Msrae

Rae
Had one like that myself. Got a call Sunday afternoon from a "friend" wanting help with a graphic. Apparently he had gone somewhere else to have his vehicle graphics and shirts done three weeks ago and they still hadn't even done the graphic. They told him they didn't want to do it because they felt his sketch was immature and unprofessional for a logo. Well, maybe so, but it is his business, and his logo. My friend wanted to know if I could help him, he needed to get his hand drawn graphic into vector format before Monday night to give to the printers.

I love it when "friends" use another company, but come crawling to me when the other guys can't deliver. Then they want me to give them a vector file so they can still go to the other guys... hahaha.

I asked why he didn't just come to me in the first place, and he had no answer.

Gotta love this kind of stuff.

Mosh

I HATE doing stuff for friends and family...I fell like you should double the price casue it always ends up twice as much work!

Wraps ink

they always use the...well I know you are busy so I went down the road to get screwed so..by the way can ya help me now

Jillbeans

Guy emails me back that my price is good and could he see a layout of the sign with the custom graphic.

OK, I set both signs up and send him a pdf file.

OK, so you already worked for free (no deposit?) and even sent him the file that he will merrily shop around until the stoopidest cheapo hack bites.
Don't worry, it happens to all of us. I am fast learning to say NO.
Unless they meet my minimum fee of $50 then we'll talk.
No deposit/no sketch. Ever!
Love....Jill

d fleming

One of our major pita customers didn't like our rate for removal and actually asked if he could come in and use the shop tools and space and do it himself. Free. Then drops off two pvc boards with vinyl on them but painted over with white house paint to be lettered "cheap". Idiot.

visual800

I get a call from the purchasing person at a company that is owned by a buddy of mines wifes family.

They do very well and are not hard up for anything..........

what he doesnt realize is they are gonna want art and they prolly have special set up charges and other junk he didnt know about. Id let this guy go **** himself and go with the other company

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
we had one this week- it's for one of those "independant" power companies.

They wanted us to design a trifold 2 sided brochure, essentially from scratch, with very little info on what they wanted listed as their services.

The basis for this design was another "independant" power company's brochure, which they sent in skewed pdf format, along with a 150kb .jpg of their logo;

They also wanted us to consult on what they should put on it, as we provide marketing services as well;

They also wanted it by this coming Tuesday, and wouldn't use our services to print it, even though we offer printing through a sub;

And finally, they wanted to see the draft before putting down a deposit.

I literally laughed when they said that last part, and wished them good luck finding design services for free.

Msrae

Rae
OK, so you already worked for free (no deposit?) and even sent him the file that he will merrily shop around until the stoopidest cheapo hack bites.
Don't worry, it happens to all of us. I am fast learning to say NO.
Unless they meet my minimum fee of $50 then we'll talk.
No deposit/no sketch. Ever!
Love....Jill

I'm learning to say NO too Jill, but it is tough sometimes. I'm learning quickly that going out of your way for most people does not usually have a favorable outcome or return.

Gabagoo, I have a feeling this yahoo will probably end up back at your door after he realizes the grass isn't greener. If not, no worries. You're better off not having to deal with customers like this anyway.

gabagoo

Well, because I have no idea if the friends I know who own this multi million $ company have any idea what the purchasing agent did, I took the $20 hit and figure you aint gettin lam now.

The guy knew I was a personal friend so you would think he wouldn't try a stunt like that, so I am still thinking he reported back to them with a price after he felt that my price was fair and they said, try squeezing him for $20

Ironically, I purchase stuff from them through the husband who works at a different location and NEVER EVER have I ever quibbled about price. I order what I need and then when I pick it up, I ask how much?...and I pay him.

This really bothers me to the point that maybe I will quibble for $20 on the next order for justice and see if he questions why I am doing that...then the beans get spilled and I can decide if I need to fire these people as friends and customers.

Border

This really bothers me to the point that maybe I will quibble for $20 on the next order for justice and see if he questions why I am doing that...then the beans get spilled and I can decide if I need to fire these people as friends and customers.

Perfect!