• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

some problems faced using photo tex

autumn06s

Hi, I have been using photo tex for some time and I have some problems with it. Anyone facing the same issues and do you have any solutions?

1. The ink will easily rub off or easily scratch off. I am using roland vs540 and original roland eco-solvent ink. After applying on the wall, I noticed that when I accidently scratch it, using much force than normal brushing against it, the ink comes off. I tried the approximate amount of force in vinyl yet the ink does not come off that much. I am concerned because after some time, customers might want to dust or clean the wall, the ink will come off!

2. I also tried using a damp cloth to wipe it to mimic in case any customer might want to clean a stain off the wall, the ink just came off leaving my palm print on the print out. I am therefore very concern. This is tried on a mural printed 1 day old and also on another mural printed 3 months old on phototex.

Any ideas?

will be interested to see what people say on this one......we just got in a sample of phototex last week and will be printing some samples today.

MikePro

two solotuins:
A) water-based liquid laminate
B) DON'T RUB IT! regular patterned wallpaper scratches too. Any unlaminated graphics shouldh't be cleaned with anything but a damp rag, and no scrubbing.

With THE Solvent ink in High traffic areas, you sure can liquid laminate it for added protection. Really not having any issues with people scratching into the media and we are in many many malls, athletic stadiums, retail outlets all over the country.

we printed out some samples yesterday and have them on our wall as well as some for clients. the print is awesome, very impressed and it doesn't seem to "rub/scratch" easy at all.

i guess depending on how hard you rub or scratch it, then you will get a different result, however, thats the same for anything unlaminated! if you are in a high traffic area and people are going to be rubbing up agaist it or touching it all the time then you would need to laminate it for sure.....again, that goes for all printed media though.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
This might be a silly question but PhotoTex comes in both a Solvent and Water base version, are you sure that you have the correct one for your printer?

TheSnowman

I'm printing on a JV3 w/ Bordeaux Solvent Inks and we have these things in towns all over Indiana. We have a photography studio that prints for studios all over the state, and probably beyond that. We don't do TONS of them, but probably on average 4-5 every couple weeks, for the past two years or so. Haven't had anyone talk about ink scratching off.

AceHigh

Make sure you are using the prpoer profile for the product. You may be over saturating the media?? Did you load the profile settings from them for your printer & ink? That would be the first thing to verify.

autumn06s

Make sure you are using the prpoer profile for the product. You may be over saturating the media?? Did you load the profile settings from them for your printer & ink? That would be the first thing to verify.
I think I am not over saturating the media. I am using Roland Versa Works generic vinyl 1 setting. We tried the banner setting in versa works, that one will over saturate but not vinyl1.

As for liquid laminate, any good brands to recommend? I read on another thread that clearshield is good. Have anyone tried this product with phototex?

As for the version of phototex I am using the phototexS version for solvent inks.

MikePro

clearshield works great on the textured ultraflex wallscapes wallpaper media. i'd imagine it would work just as well on phototex.
make sure you get the water-based laminate for solvent prints.

Phototex UK

We have many installs in the UK (including Heathrow airport) and throughout Europe with excellent results. We do find that customers use Liquid Lamination in high traffic areas. There is lots of technical information at www.phototex.co.uk

switch

Same problem here with ES3 inks on a JV33. Does any one know if going to a mild solvent will fix this issue?

Something I have noticed is, when its on the table getting trimmed and packaged there is NO PROBLEM at all, you can pretty much do anything to it without the ink coming off.

The problem is after application to the wall... 3 months later the print becomes VERY sticky and the ink almost falls off...
The only conclusion I can come to is the adhesive is starting to come through the fabric and interfere with the solvent ink... Does the solvent phototex have a water based adhesive?

Let me know what you think about going to mild solvent ink...

Cheers,

JoshLoring

Get some canvas liquid laminate froma crafts supply. Roll it on like your painting a wall.
Looks great and adds a nice texture too.