• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

some sign material (and other stuff) to make halloween costume

slappy

I've been making Ayden's Halloween costumes the past 2 years. Last year he was Pop-eye and the year before Herman the Munster. My dad likes to watch old movies and shows with him and he's really into it, so that would explain why he was what he was.
Normally with these costumes i've managed to get the supplies through the craft stores and clearance racks, but this year is going to be different and i need some suggestions to where to get a few items. He wants to be a Lego guy.... but to make it alittle harder, Captain Jack Sparrow Lego guy. (see attachment)

So here is my inspiration this year.

I found them selling on ebay, not the pirate one though. It shows a cardbord tube for the head and i'm assuming styrofoam and cardboard for the rest of it since it states in the description.

Where can i get a tube like that for the head, about that size maybe smaller. Ayden's only 4.5 years old? You can see the cardboard twirl with the shadow of the paint in the picture.

but this is my breakdown.

red cap hat = plastic bowl painted
hair = probably yarn made into dreads or use rope and paint black
hair jewels = i can probably use some beads
chest body = coro or cardboard with vinyl or paint
hands = i'm an idiot! i just threw out two very old school life preservers i could have cut the sides and shaped! dammit! i just now realized it would have worked! so now i don't know!
lego feet = probably coro or cardboard.

shirt and pants will be worn.

so, any suggestions on how to make this head? also, feel free to thrown in your own ideas on things on how i can make this happen. Halloween will be here faster then i know it.

If you also have anything that i can use that you are interested in selling, let me know.

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

also, anyone with one of these old life preservers.... let me know! And that is NOT me btw!!! It was the only photo i seen in google images that showed a life preserver that resembled the 2 i just threw in the trash last week that my dad gave me the week prior that i could have used for the freaking hands now! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

http://disney.go.com/pirates/captain-jack-sparrow.html

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd just cover your kid in Gorilla Glue and after it dries.... chisel him into anything you want. Prime it and then top coat it. Heck, put two straws in his nostrils and then pull them out later.

slappy

you know Gino.... i don't even know how to respond to that one. but that's a good one though, lmao thank you

mopar691

Here is the Hylian Shield my son made out of scrap DiBond and dumpster pieces last year.

Attachments

• sh.jpg
    sh.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 105

slappy

i cut a 7.5" circle out of some old vinyl and it's not going to work, it'll be too tight. i need at least a 12" diameter. i thank you very much though:smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay... go to a carpet mart and ask them for some cores. You could stuff the whole kid in there and turn him into a lego log. Just paint him brown and roll him around. Heck, he won't even need feet.

Okay... go to a carpet mart and ask them for some cores. You could stuff the whole kid in there and turn him into a lego log. Just paint him brown and roll him around. Heck, he won't even need feet.

Aren't carpet cores only about 6 to 8 inches? same as a banner tube?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have some about a foot in diameter. So if you have a little store with little cores.... go buy a drum case, cut a hole in the top and let him stick his head out the top.

MakeMyGraphic

Fyi home depot has cardboard looking tubes...huge ones i'm starting right at them right now, they are called "building form tube" aka tube for concrete, prices ranging from 5.17-8.83 diameters from 8"-12" :)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120822_185110.png
    ForumRunner_20120822_185110.png
    580.9 KB · Views: 104