Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

some sign material (and other stuff) to make halloween costume

Discussion in 'Hand Made Signs' started by slappy, Jul 15, 2012.

1. slappy

slappy Very Active Member

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    I've been making Ayden's Halloween costumes the past 2 years. Last year he was Pop-eye and the year before Herman the Munster. My dad likes to watch old movies and shows with him and he's really into it, so that would explain why he was what he was.
    Normally with these costumes i've managed to get the supplies through the craft stores and clearance racks, but this year is going to be different and i need some suggestions to where to get a few items. He wants to be a Lego guy.... but to make it alittle harder, Captain Jack Sparrow Lego guy. (see attachment)

So here is my inspiration this year.

I found them selling on ebay, not the pirate one though. It shows a cardbord tube for the head and i'm assuming styrofoam and cardboard for the rest of it since it states in the description.

Where can i get a tube like that for the head, about that size maybe smaller. Ayden's only 4.5 years old? You can see the cardboard twirl with the shadow of the paint in the picture.

but this is my breakdown.

red cap hat = plastic bowl painted
    hair = probably yarn made into dreads or use rope and paint black
    hair jewels = i can probably use some beads
    chest body = coro or cardboard with vinyl or paint
    hands = i'm an idiot! i just threw out two very old school life preservers i could have cut the sides and shaped! dammit! i just now realized it would have worked! so now i don't know!
    lego feet = probably coro or cardboard.

shirt and pants will be worn.

so, any suggestions on how to make this head? also, feel free to thrown in your own ideas on things on how i can make this happen. Halloween will be here faster then i know it.

If you also have anything that i can use that you are interested in selling, let me know.

:thankyou::thankyou::thankyou:

also, anyone with one of these old life preservers.... let me know! And that is NOT me btw!!! It was the only photo i seen in google images that showed a life preserver that resembled the 2 i just threw in the trash last week that my dad gave me the week prior that i could have used for the freaking hands now! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Tags:
  2. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    anybody??

3. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Key Banner comes in a big tube that should fit a childs head. I have a empty tube if you want it.

4. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    :U Rock: do you have some dimensions? I'll pay the freight:smile:

5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I'd just cover your kid in Gorilla Glue and after it dries.... chisel him into anything you want. Prime it and then top coat it. Heck, put two straws in his nostrils and then pull them out later.

6. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    you know Gino.... i don't even know how to respond to that one. but that's a good one though, lmao thank you

7. mopar691

mopar691 Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Here is the Hylian Shield my son made out of scrap DiBond and dumpster pieces last year.

Attached Files:

• sh.jpg
      sh.jpg
      File size:
      63.9 KB
      Views:
  8. BIG EASY DOES IT

Mar 14, 2011
    CA

The tube is 7.5 in wide. The wall is about an eighth of an inch thick. and it is 56" tall. Make sure his head is about 7 in wide side to side and front to back.

9. slappy

May 31, 2005
    Earth
    i cut a 7.5" circle out of some old vinyl and it's not going to work, it'll be too tight. i need at least a 12" diameter. i thank you very much though:smile:

10. BIG EASY DOES IT

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Try to find some sewer pvc pipe or couplings. I would think never been used would be ideal. But those usually come all the way to 24" pipes.

11. BIG EASY DOES IT

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    I would talk to some trenching companys in your area see if they have pieces left over from some jobs. Or paper mache

12. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Okay... go to a carpet mart and ask them for some cores. You could stuff the whole kid in there and turn him into a lego log. Just paint him brown and roll him around. Heck, he won't even need feet.

13. BIG EASY DOES IT

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Aren't carpet cores only about 6 to 8 inches? same as a banner tube?

14. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I have some about a foot in diameter. So if you have a little store with little cores.... go buy a drum case, cut a hole in the top and let him stick his head out the top.

15. MakeMyGraphic

MakeMyGraphic Member

Feb 21, 2012
    San Diego
    Fyi home depot has cardboard looking tubes...huge ones i'm starting right at them right now, they are called "building form tube" aka tube for concrete, prices ranging from 5.17-8.83 diameters from 8"-12" :)

Attached Files:

16. signage

signage Major Contributor

Oct 5, 2005
    Penn
    Those are sonotubes!