• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Someone please explain gerber edge printers

I've actually looked into it and read about them (briefly) and I don't see the appeal...

They seem to print and cut designs, but what makes them superior(or not) to solvent/latex printing.

It looks expensive and slow and as much could be achieved with cut vinyl.

Where am I not making the connection?

tsgstl

They were the first mass produced sign making friendly printer. I honestly didn't know they were still being produced? I never really cared for the quality. My first long term gig was with a Signs Now franchise and they really pushed them. I never saw the need to drop the money on it. We always outsourced any full color printing jobs.

Maybe I am totally mislead but I don't think it is even a fair comparison to todays printers.

omgsideburns

Despite having modern ink jets in our shop we still use them a lot.

They print spot colors using thermal foils.

They can print metallic and other special fx colors, including clear coatings and white floods.

Flood colors are FLAWLESS, no grain, no lines.

They print extremely sharp text and line art.

They are workhorses. We have almost no downtime with the three machines we have. They make money.

rjssigns

Dead-nuts registration, back-cutting, crack and peel, foils, white with no head clogging, dense prints on clear, etc...

Jiminy, ya think I owned one! I learned all this from the people I sub to.
The little buggers have a specific range of things they do extremely well that other systems cannot.
Maybe someday..............

I had just read an article in signcraft about a couple who used one, the designs could have been easily done with cut vinyl but he goes on about the costs of doing a truck graphic using "digital printing" looks like it took him and his wife 2+ hours to print and apply a 2 color graphic to a truck door.

Edit..

I see, they do special things like foil and whatnot...and yes I will in the future contact a sales rep before I ask a simple question on this forum about signmaking...I've certainly figured that one out. God what is this forum for anyway?? Bragging?

The website is kinda vague, yes I know it uses heat to transfer resins, but that was about it...not looking to buy one just wondering what kind of applications it was suited to and where it excelled
we're all friends right ;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
One thing, I've always heard they were built like a Sherman Tank. We have Gerber cutters and they are for the most part indestructible. A little light now, but they're from 1994.

Circleville Signs

The Edge II is one of the few machines in the digital print world that does what it does well nearly flawlessly. Everything has it's place. The Edge can't be touched for it's price point at the things it does well.

CanuckSigns

We bought an Edge 2 about a year ago, we've had a 54" roland printer for about 5 years now, so we did it the exact opposite of most shops lol.

The edge is great, we do quite a few industrial labels and small decals, for that type of job, it puts our roland to shame, both in quality and speed.

If you are looking for a printer to do everything from posters, wraps, decals, shirts etc, the Edge is not for you, stick with a solvent or latex.

The edge has a few advantages over other inkjet printers:

1. The ability to print a nice solid opaque white, metallics, and other specialty foils that can not be done with inkjet (and can fetch a nice permium if marketed properly)

2. Pretty much completely maintenance free, you can let it sit for 5 years unused and it will fire up and print like the day it came off the shelf.

3. the fact that people still use them after 20 ish years speaks volumes.

4. NO LAMINATION NEEDED

GoodPeopleFlags

We have one for sale if you're interested. We actually have 2 and only use 1 of them now so we'd like to sell the other.

Some downsides are that you have to use Gerber Omega software, 4-color process prints look kinda crappy, and they're a pain in the arse when you have to print something with many colors because you have to physically change the foil cartridge for each color. But yes, for spot color decals, they're great. And they can print white.

Sign Works

I get a kick out of the continued claims of "No Lamination Needed".

Just last week a customer pointed out an equipement decal on his new forklift, it was clearly an Edge print (white on red vinyl). Gently rubbing with my finger easily removed the white resin, God forbid anyone ever wipe that decal with a strong chemical.

All my thermal resin prints recieve a UV film laminate, this provides abrasion resistance, chemical resistance, extended UV durability and a heck of a nice deep gloss as well.

hydo1

We have owned an Edge, Edge 2 and now an EdgeFX. They have all paid for themselves over and over again with little to no maintenance.

royster13

Like any good piece of equipment, if you figure out what it does best and market it, it will make you money.....

d-signtech

I can say I have one. It's been sitting here since I started up a year ago. It was given to me from a local guy who got out of the business. After reading this thread I think I have a project tonight. I'm gonna get it running. Was kinda worried about it sitting for so long, but maybe, just maybe it will be alive. Any advice or certain things I should look out for?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Like others have said you can print some pretty cool stuff with it. Here's a little experiment I posted on a Gerber Edge forum back in 04'

Prismatic Gold on a Thermal Printer.

The 3 rectangle strips on the top pic are Gold Medal foil printed on Florentine Swirl Gold film with different percentages of coverage.

The G on the bottom pic is apx. 75% coverage on the darker prisms and allows enough of the Florentine swirl to shine through for a natural prismatic effect.

Attachments

• prismatic gold.jpg
    prismatic gold.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 539

Drip Dry

I get a kick out of the continued claims of "No Lamination Needed".

Just last week a customer pointed out an equipement decal on his new forklift, it was clearly an Edge print (white on red vinyl). Gently rubbing with my finger easily removed the white resin, God forbid anyone ever wipe that decal with a strong chemical.

It clearly was not an edge print. In eleven years, I never laminated a print whether it was indoor or out. I dare you to rub one off with any chemical

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Some downsides are that you have to use Gerber Omega software,

or FlexiSign Pro or SignLab with the thermal module.

4-color process prints look kinda crappy,

Not if you take the time to get familiar with the halftone dot styles available along with using the LPI settings.

and they're a pain in the arse when you have to print something with many colors because you have to physically change the foil cartridge for each color.

But this is only true if you are printing lots of spot colors. 99% of jobs I do that call for more than four colors, I just print using 4 color process. OTOH, printing with spot colors eliminates all requirements for color management or profiles. From the perspective of work flow, I'd much prefer to change foil cartridges than have to put up with drying, smells, and lamination.

But yes, for spot color decals, they're great. And they can print white.

And lots more including doing an excellent job at offering a profitable alternative to full wraps.

Attachments

• 394Cool_World_Van.jpg
    394Cool_World_Van.jpg
    396.1 KB · Views: 411
  • 394Gas_Grill_Van_08.jpg
    394Gas_Grill_Van_08.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 385
  • 394Mailboxes_Van.jpg
    394Mailboxes_Van.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 360
  • 394Marys_Orchids_11.jpg
    394Marys_Orchids_11.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 363
  • 394Pioneer_01.jpg
    394Pioneer_01.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 348
  • 394PBAquaticsBox05.jpg
    394PBAquaticsBox05.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 477

Marlene

One thing, I've always heard they were built like a Sherman Tank

they are. I see almost everyday threads concerning break downs and issues and it is rare to ever see issues from Edge owners. We had the first Edge and then updated to the Edge 2 years ago. nothing has ever gone wrong with it. the only issues I ever had with prints was when I gave other brands of foils a try. all the reasons listed by Watson signs are just some of the reasons that make an Edge a good unit.

if you see an Edge decal and can rub off the print, chances are the person used cheap, crappy vinyl and cut rate foils and had no idea how to set the heat on the Edge to get the best print.

GB2

Old Member
I did a banner with 4 color process Edge printing that has been sitting in the sun for 6 years now and the print still looks perfect with no lamination.

CropMarks

Spot color reverse print on clear static cling with a white flood coat over the image. I've been looking for an Edge for months now... well, one that I can afford. I have yet to find a static cling that will actually run with my converted SJ540 without looking like horrid mud.