• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Someone Removed the dongle!!

AKSigns

We have a old version of Omega 1.54 (yes I know its old) and unsupportable. We had a tech in doing some work on our main network computer and he removed the dongle. I've done this before and fixed it but I can't remember how anymore!!! ERRRR The error message I get is
This system is not licenced for this version of OMEGA(tm)

Can anyone offer some help??

Thanks
KT

yes I am looking into upgrading but no one will get back to me with pricing!! I may even switch over to Flexi (mostly because everyone on here raves about it!)

iSign

what do you do with it? If you run the Edge, Flexi can do it, but it's a lot to pay to do something that is not what folks are usually raving about... and upgrading Omega will be way cheaper...

Was it a USB dongle? It's back in place now?
There are settings that tell Omega what port to look to, for the key (dongle), and if there are more than one port listed, the others need to be set to "off" and only the one you are using set to "on". Right now, I don't remember how to get there, but I'll post this to get the discussion started. Once you tell us if it's a USB or a parallel dongle... maybe someone else will remember where to find those settings I mentioned.

AKSigns

Yes it is a USB dongle, yes its back in place!
We run our Ioline plotter with omega!
Flexi offers 40% discount to those willing to switch! Last time I looked into upgrading Omega is was going to cost about 1500 a machine!!

Marlene

seems like if all that was done was to remove it and no settings were changed, you should be able to turn off the 'puter, plug the dongle back in and turn the 'puter back on and it will find it.

Tony Teveris

I would say it's a parallel key if your using 1.54. I don't remember but on the original Omega CD there maybe a "misc" folder that contains a MS-DOS application called rblock.exe. To make things easy copy this file to the "root" of your C:\ drive, go to a DOS prompt:

C:\>cd C:\
C:\>rblock >info.txt
C:\>exit

DO NOT TYPE the C:\>, THATS THE DOS PROMPT

now you will have a file that contain the info on the key called info.txt which you can read with notepad.

There is also a SentinalSetup.exe (thats not the real name, I don't know what it is) somewhere either on the Omega CD or in the software folder.

Make sure the port is pointing to reading the parallel port. Also, if the computer guy updated the Sentinal (SafeNet these days) that driver will not work. I think the last version to work was 5.37, nothing that starts with 7.xx.

You can email me to take offline if you want and if it gets resolved I'll post what we did.

The upgrade from 1.54 to 2.61 would be around $595 P/N P79284A

UPDATE: it also could be a USB key as that is when we started offering both. SO again find that Sentinal config app and make sure the key is only looking at the USB port if that is what it is.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Pretty sure we're talking about an LPT port dongle for most Omega setups before version 2. The dongle should be plugged into an available printer port. To check the settings, run the Rainbow Sentinel driver and set all available ports to NO except the port in which the dongle is plugged in.

As to upgrading, I have Omega, FlexiSign Pro and Adobe CS2. I can't imagine being without any of them. Right now I am setting up the Edge production files for eight labels received yesterday in EPS that use both cropping and clipping masks in the original EPS files. Not included in the originals are needed choke and spreads as well as a bleed edge across a mult-color image edge.

To accomplish what is needed successfully, I used Illustrator to convert the strokes to paths, release the clipping mask and release the cropping. I next opened the file in Flexi to create the bleed and the choke/spread as well as remove all vectors of a globe that extended about 300% outside of the actual label bleed edge. This file was then brought into Omega for assignment of vinyl, foils, halftones, lpi and overprints.

I cannot imagine successfully processing these files without all three applications.

Marlene

what did the tech do on your 'puter? is the windows version the same as it was before they worked on it? 1.56 won't run on any windows past windows '98 as far as I know.

Gordy Saunders

Fred is right it is an LPT port. My version has a big blue doggle that plugs into the printer port. If it is not plugged in I get the same message.

But I have my version loaded on to two computers one is a "98" version of windows and the other is an XP. They both work fine. I move the doggle back and forth from time to time.