• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Someone using your company name

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't think he could trademark American Made Signs anyway. According to USPTO it needs to not be generic. He could prevent people in his state from using it, but I don't think the country.

bannertime

I just found a new guy a few doors down from us. I'm guessing he's been there for a hot minute, but we've never noticed him. One of our sayings is "Your one stop event shop," because we offer a lot of products and services catered to grand openings and event decor. Way more than print shop services. This new guy has his little motto as "Your TRUE one stop shop." One stop shop for the same stuff every other shop offers? How unique.

Rustyrussell

https://www.austinsignco.com/
We've noticed other newer sign companies trying to hi-jack our online identity by using our company name in the title to there adwords ad. Our name is pretty generic "Austin Sign Co" but they end up getting all of our customers clicking the ads they've placed which costs them money...Not sure if they are trying to convert my customers into their own.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We've noticed other newer sign companies trying to hi-jack our online identity by using our company name in the title to there adwords ad. Our name is pretty generic "Austin Sign Co" but they end up getting all of our customers clicking the ads they've placed which costs them money...Not sure if they are trying to convert my customers into their own.

EXACTLY MY SITUATION! I have very generic city name and they are using it VERBATIM in their good ad-words title here too! But instead of "Company" they are using "Companies" which makes no sense.

ams

There are a few things to follow-up on here, so I'll go one by one:

I try to keep a "benefit of the doubt" philosophy and I'm struggling on this one. It's hard to imagine that it came about any other way than copying ours. I think most in our industry would agree that copying is not cool.

This seems to be an attempt to distract and justify your actions. But in response, the fact that our two facilities are not located in Charlottesville has little to do with our service area. I would be shocked if we didn't do more business in Charlottesville than several companies like yours, combined. That's not a shot at you or the other fine companies in our market. But clearly, the location of our facilities is irrelevant to where our customers come from and even more so removed from the issue of plagiarism.

I am Robbie and I appreciate the statement. Over the years, we've learned our strengths and tried to play to them. That means when a client comes to us with needs that don't align with our strengths, we try to get them to someone that can do a better job of helping them. I don't think we are unique in this way. We, too, receive referrals from other sign companies.

Several people within our company and I, personally, have referred potential clients to you. I assume that is how you've developed an opinion of me. Other than that, I'm not sure that we've ever met and can only recall one brief telephone conversation with you.

Again, this is an attempt to distract from the core issue, which seems to be your "go to" modus operandi. But I'll bite.

Katherine is my wife and the mother of our 4 children. Any success that our company has achieved has been through her hard work and leadership. She has built a company that provides primary income for 10 families and counting. She works circles around you and your revolving door of unfortunate newbs, Bri-On. The fact that you hold a less than favorable opinion of her only reinforces what a good job she is doing.

Taken in total, your response makes it clear to me what you are obviously responsible for deliberately copying the title tag. That, the title tag, in itself, is somewhat a non-issue. It's not some amazing, business making tool. We'll change ours soon, to avoid any confusion.

To me, the issue is handling a mistake. We all make them. I'll make a dozen before lunch. But, man, I sure hope I can do a better job of owning them.

Best of luck to you.

Let's see, where do I start........

First of all, it isn't copying. That isn't our tagline and it was probably made from our original website back in 2010 or 2011 and wasn't updated on Google. How do I know you didn't copy us recently? Can you prove when you added that? I don't even know how to change it on google. So if you do, please explain it.

As for where your service area is, we aren't in the same type of target market. I cover the entire state including D.C. I do lots of Electrical Signs, where you guys are great at VDOT signs.

Robbie, if that really is you and not another employee talking. Throughout the years I've spoken with you a few times, you did some work for me before I had a sign company. But it's been awhile.
You've talked to my dad here and there sometimes, he has told me. I've referred customers to you as well, I like making friends with all the sign shops, but some of them have stabbed me in the back such as RnR Printing, Print Source and Sir Speedy, not to mention Gropen and Hightech. But friends with some.

As for Katherine, she has been very rude with me because I am "Competition", I quit dealing with Performance a couple years ago, she will not allow me to speak with you anymore, acts like a bodyguard and when I ask for help with something like borrow material or to do a job for me, it's a no. Heck back around 2013 I asked to borrow an installer to help me with a job, of course I would pay an hourly rate, no problem. But made a huge deal out of it. I want to work with you guys and be friends, but she wants nothing to do with us.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Your digging a deep hole naming all those companies.

Any why are you borrowing stuff from your competitors??? Maybe they shut you out because they didnt want to deal with that nonsense.

SqueeGee

Dude, just admit it or don't respond at all. You do know that once something is online, it's virtually impossible to erase, right?

Using the Wayback Machine(www.archive.org), I see that we started using "Charlottesville's Favorite Sign Company" as part of our title tag sometime between April 16, 2012 and November 12, 2012. I actually know it was in May of that year because that's when we redesigned the site.

On March 28, 2016, your title tag was "Sign Company Charlottesville, Va."
On May 8, 2016, your title tag was "Charlottesvilles Favorite Sign Company". (no apostrophe)
It stayed like this through September 25, 2017.
Then, on March 24, 2018, it was "Charlottesville Favorite Sign Company". (no apostrophe and no "s")

First of all, it isn't copying.

It's clearly copying - just not very well executed.

it was probably made from our original website back in 2010 or 2011 and wasn't updated on Google.

Fake news. It was never your title tag prior to 2016. Google doesn't make up the title tag. It's coded into your website - by you.

How do I know you didn't copy us recently? Can you prove when you added that?

There was never a doubt.

I don't even know how to change it on google.

You saw something you liked that someone else had and you put it on your page. It wasn't illegal. No one is getting sued over it. Maybe you didn't even realize it would show up., but you very clearly did it. I doubt you ever expected to be confronted with it. But here we are and instead of owning it, you continue to dig yourself into a deeper hole.

We all make mistakes and have difficulties. I think what really defines us is what we learn from our mistakes and how we handle adversity.

Regarding Katherine, her intuition is second to none and she has a razor sharp wit. It doesn't surprise me that you two didn't hit it off.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Let's see, where do I start........

First of all, it isn't copying. That isn't our tagline and it was probably made from our original website back in 2010 or 2011 and wasn't updated on Google. How do I know you didn't copy us recently? Can you prove when you added that? I don't even know how to change it on google. So if you do, please explain it.

As for where your service area is, we aren't in the same type of target market. I cover the entire state including D.C. I do lots of Electrical Signs, where you guys are great at VDOT signs.

Robbie, if that really is you and not another employee talking. Throughout the years I've spoken with you a few times, you did some work for me before I had a sign company. But it's been awhile.
You've talked to my dad here and there sometimes, he has told me. I've referred customers to you as well, I like making friends with all the sign shops, but some of them have stabbed me in the back such as RnR Printing, Print Source and Sir Speedy, not to mention Gropen and Hightech. But friends with some.

As for Katherine, she has been very rude with me because I am "Competition", I quit dealing with Performance a couple years ago, she will not allow me to speak with you anymore, acts like a bodyguard and when I ask for help with something like borrow material or to do a job for me, it's a no. Heck back around 2013 I asked to borrow an installer to help me with a job, of course I would pay an hourly rate, no problem. But made a huge deal out of it. I want to work with you guys and be friends, but she wants nothing to do with us.
How have you survived this long? I'm surprised your brain hasn't forgotten how to breathe.

d fleming

Had some yahoo a few years back call and tell me to remove my sign. It was his business name. I asked him if his name was Fleming, no? Then you change your name. I was born with this one, lol. He told me his business name was "Signs & Graphics". Still gives me a chuckle. On another note, I am the only one in the family who isn't in the tile and marble business. Our family had Fleming & Sons Tile for almost 100 years here. SO when I opened Fleming Signs and Graphics I was the next # in phone book after Fleming Tile. Got tons of phone calls asking if their tile order was ready for pick up, etc for years. I finally started telling them all yep, come get it. My Uncle was not amused.

ams

Dude, just admit it or don't respond at all. You do know that once something is online, it's virtually impossible to erase, right?

Using the Wayback Machine(www.archive.org), I see that we started using "Charlottesville's Favorite Sign Company" as part of our title tag sometime between April 16, 2012 and November 12, 2012. I actually know it was in May of that year because that's when we redesigned the site.

On March 28, 2016, your title tag was "Sign Company Charlottesville, Va."
On May 8, 2016, your title tag was "Charlottesvilles Favorite Sign Company". (no apostrophe)
It stayed like this through September 25, 2017.
Then, on March 24, 2018, it was "Charlottesville Favorite Sign Company". (no apostrophe and no "s")

It's clearly copying - just not very well executed.

Fake news. It was never your title tag prior to 2016. Google doesn't make up the title tag. It's coded into your website - by you.

There was never a doubt.

You saw something you liked that someone else had and you put it on your page. It wasn't illegal. No one is getting sued over it. Maybe you didn't even realize it would show up., but you very clearly did it. I doubt you ever expected to be confronted with it. But here we are and instead of owning it, you continue to dig yourself into a deeper hole.

We all make mistakes and have difficulties. I think what really defines us is what we learn from our mistakes and how we handle adversity.

Regarding Katherine, her intuition is second to none and she has a razor sharp wit. It doesn't surprise me that you two didn't hit it off.

Like I said I never even saw your tag when it was added back in the day, or else I would have said something to you about it. Again I remember it with our first website. But shortly after we created our own tagline. But since you are so defensive and crying that there was a double out there, we'll cut ties with you, no problem. It's a shame when we could have worked together, but I don't have time for drama.

SqueeGee

Like I said I never even saw your tag when it was added back in the day, or else I would have said something to you about it.

You have gone from not knowing how it got there(nor even knowing how to change it), to asking how anyone could know who had it first to boldly remembering that it has been on your site from the beginning.

Here is what the title tag has been for americanmadesigns.com via archive.org:

2/23/2008 <title>DollarSignz</title>
3/8/2011 <title>American Made Signs LLC</title>
5/10/2013 <title>American Made Signs | Sign Company Charlottesville, VA</title>
5/8/2016 <title>American Made Signs - Charlottesvilles Favorite Sign Company</title>
3/24/2018 <title>American Made Signs - Charlottesville Favorite Sign Company</title>

The archive shows that we were using "Charlottesville's Favorite Sign Company" on 11/12/2012. (more than 3 years before your bastardized version appeared)

But since you are so defensive and crying that there was a double out there, we'll cut ties with you, no problem. It's a shame when we could have worked together,

I'm on offense. You're on defense. The record is clear. We are going to change the title tag that we originated and you copied to avoid any conceivable association.

What ties are there to cut? Why would we want and when have we ever asked to work with you?

I don't have time for drama.

Clearly - with your time devoted to creating and posting lame Boy Scout memes to a sign industry forum submitted as Exhibit A.

BTW, if you get around to changing your title tag, I'd be happy to share some more accurate suggestions for you. I'm guessing some others here would be willing to help with that, also.

ams

You have gone from not knowing how it got there(nor even knowing how to change it), to asking how anyone could know who had it first to boldly remembering that it has been on your site from the beginning.

Here is what the title tag has been for americanmadesigns.com via archive.org:

2/23/2008 <title>DollarSignz</title>
3/8/2011 <title>American Made Signs LLC</title>
5/10/2013 <title>American Made Signs | Sign Company Charlottesville, VA</title>
5/8/2016 <title>American Made Signs - Charlottesvilles Favorite Sign Company</title>
3/24/2018 <title>American Made Signs - Charlottesville Favorite Sign Company</title>

The archive shows that we were using "Charlottesville's Favorite Sign Company" on 11/12/2012. (more than 3 years before your bastardized version appeared)

I'm on offense. You're on defense. The record is clear. We are going to change the title tag that we originated and you copied to avoid any conceivable association.

What ties are there to cut? Why would we want and when have we ever asked to work with you?

Clearly - with your time devoted to creating and posting lame Boy Scout memes to a sign industry forum submitted as Exhibit A.

BTW, if you get around to changing your title tag, I'd be happy to share some more accurate suggestions for you. I'm guessing some others here would be willing to help with that, also.

I went and looked at the website myself and yes it does say that. I really don't care what you think, but I didn't know that was on there, however it won't be for long, I will change it to something different, not because I have to, but because I don't want to be associated with you.

I can put my own title on it.

ams

Ding, ding, ding!

Do you see what you admitted there?

Like I said, I don't care what anyone thinks. I didn't know it said that, I did know it was long ago used on our original website. But now that it's confirmed, I am going to change it. So go kick dirt.

TimToad

There are a few things to follow-up on here, so I'll go one by one:

I try to keep a "benefit of the doubt" philosophy and I'm struggling on this one. It's hard to imagine that it came about any other way than copying ours. I think most in our industry would agree that copying is not cool.

This seems to be an attempt to distract and justify your actions. But in response, the fact that our two facilities are not located in Charlottesville has little to do with our service area. I would be shocked if we didn't do more business in Charlottesville than several companies like yours, combined. That's not a shot at you or the other fine companies in our market. But clearly, the location of our facilities is irrelevant to where our customers come from and even more so removed from the issue of plagiarism.

I am Robbie and I appreciate the statement. Over the years, we've learned our strengths and tried to play to them. That means when a client comes to us with needs that don't align with our strengths, we try to get them to someone that can do a better job of helping them. I don't think we are unique in this way. We, too, receive referrals from other sign companies.

Several people within our company and I, personally, have referred potential clients to you. I assume that is how you've developed an opinion of me. Other than that, I'm not sure that we've ever met and can only recall one brief telephone conversation with you.

Again, this is an attempt to distract from the core issue, which seems to be your "go to" modus operandi. But I'll bite.

Katherine is my wife and the mother of our 4 children. Any success that our company has achieved has been through her hard work and leadership. She has built a company that provides primary income for 10 families and counting. She works circles around you and your revolving door of unfortunate newbs, Bri-On. The fact that you hold a less than favorable opinion of her only reinforces what a good job she is doing.

Taken in total, your response makes it clear to me what you are obviously responsible for deliberately copying the title tag. That, the title tag, in itself, is somewhat a non-issue. It's not some amazing, business making tool. We'll change ours soon, to avoid any confusion.

To me, the issue is handling a mistake. We all make them. I'll make a dozen before lunch. But, man, I sure hope I can do a better job of owning them.

Best of luck to you.

You have my complete respect for handling this entire thread and situation with the utmost dignity and diplomacy. I'm not sure where some of the members on this site come off with feeling entitled to insult and go after people's loved ones, but it is one of several unsavory issues the owners and moderators should address if they expect this site to appeal to a wide variety of sign professionals. We're all not completely anonymous or living thousands of miles apart, so folks need to think about the consequences of crossing that line. I love the line in the film, The Professional starring Jean Reno as the quiet mob hit man, "no women, no kids".

The loose cannons around here need to leave all of our loved ones out of their posts and get their ducks in a row on practicing the same professionalism they are hypocritically advocating for or complaining about not enough being of it being present.

TimToad

Over the years I have had several clients who had to change their name because even though it was a legally registered entity in our state someone somewhere had the name trademarked. And it doesn't even have to be the exact same name, just close enough and in a similar enough business to cause confusion to a customer.

That happened to one of the craft breweries in our town. The other brewery all the way across the country had trademarked the name five days before the one in our town.