• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something a bit different

SignosaurusRex

A simple project with an interesting twist. Customer didn't want the usual brushed aluminum but wanted stay with a brushed silver/gray tone for the letters and a light gray wall paint. They also wanted the logo element to stand out separate from the letters with an unusual finish in a "Burgundy...Copper...Bronze-ish" tone.
The letters are Chemetal 'Brushed Pewter' #916 laminated to 13mm Sintra and CNC routed. The CNC work was jobbed out to a buddy. The Scottish Thistle element is from their logo. It is Chemetal 'Renaissance' #313 laminated to 6mm Sintra and hand cut using a Bosch 1584VS jigsaw with blade #T101AO. The laminating process was done using '3M Hi-Strength 90 Spray Adhesive and a laminate J-Roller. The letters were installed with GE Silicone II and the thistle section was installed with GE Silcone II and a hi-strength 3M double stick ultra thin membrane tape (sorry, I don't have or recall the product #). The customer is having the lighting changed as a final touch. They wanted to wait until the wall was finished.

http://www.chemetal.com/

Attachments

• CaledonianPic1.jpg
    CaledonianPic1.jpg
    451.3 KB · Views: 105
  • CaledonianPic2.jpg
    CaledonianPic2.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 81
  • CaledonianPic3.jpg
    CaledonianPic3.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 83
  • CaledonianPic4.jpg
    CaledonianPic4.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 82

SignManiac

Elegant, classy, rich looking! That chemetal looks like something I need to play with!!! Thanks for the tip :)

skyhigh

Super job Brian! Classy look. Thanks again for the chemetal tip a few months ago. I've used it on a couple jobs.

One question....
When you jobbed out the cnc work for the letters, why didn't you have them cut the other?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Just goes to show how simple type can be enhanced with a simple grapic to produce mega outstanding results. The serif / sanserif symbosis does wonders. Minion Pro, I presume?

JB

Marlene

very nice. when I get back to work on wednesday, I'll be puling out my key chain of Chem-metal lamiantes as I want to see those colors

SignosaurusRex

Elegant, classy, rich looking! That chemetal looks like something I need to play with!!! Thanks for the tip :)
I think you will enjoy it! Just a 'heads-up'.......some of the finish patterns will vary from sheet to sheet, so you will want to inquire about finish continuity. Prices will also vary greatly from one finish/series to another. I had to order these particular stock finishes from the factory, through a dealer here in Seattle. The product was pulled from inventory at the factory and shipped cross country. I opted to have it delivered to the dealer rather than 'drop-ship' so I could inspect the sheets. You are considerably closer to the factory than I am. HPL backed sheets can be rolled for shipping, non-HPL backed sheets must ship flat and Chemetal does a very nice job of packaging for shipment.

SignosaurusRex

Just goes to show how simple type can be enhanced with a simple grapic to produce mega outstanding results. The serif / sanserif symbosis does wonders. Minion Pro, I presume?

JB

'Garamond Premier Regular' if I remember correctly. The sans I do not recall at the moment.

Marlene

I think you will enjoy it! Just a 'heads-up'.......some of the finish patterns will vary from sheet to sheet, so you will want to inquire about finish continuity

yes, I found out the hard way. I used the aged steel and from the little chip, it looked great. what you couldn't tell about was that it looked wiped down with something to age it so there were bands running the lenght about 6 to 8 inches high so it had stripes. it turned OK for me because it turns out the aged stell is stell, not aluminum made to look like rusted metal. the people I have do my routing couldn't cut it so we ended up scanning a piece of the rust and digitally printing it onto aluminum. get yourself a sample kit and you'll fall in love as there are so many really nice finishes.