• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something fun for the New Year

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
For those of you who have never thought about your business model (or perhaps you don't even know what a business model is), check out Business Model Generation http://businessmodelgeneration.com. It's a highly visual book for helping you better understand how to create, deliver and capture the value of your business. There's a free 70+ page sample .pdf download to whet your appetite.

For those of you who don't own a business, they've also created a similar book to help you with career planning using the same principle. It's called Business Model You http://businessmodelyou.com/, and uses the same canvas concept for creating "personal business models". A free 70+ .pdf download sample of that book is also available.

I'm not a paid sales rep (or even associated with them) and won't be getting squat from this blurb, but I have both books and am absolutely blown away by how they can make a complex subject very, very simple...and fun.

Anyway, check them out...you'll be impressed.

JB

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
James did you check out the Score program? If so, how does it compare to this? http://www.score.org/

Score is a one-on-one mentorship program where you get paired with an experienced business person that will assist you through the business planning stages.

Business Model Generation and Business Model You are books that help you complete the nine components of your business model / personal business model. They hold occasional seminars, but many of those appear to be in European countries. I believe there may be an online peer mentoring element also. I see they're now offering a "masterclass" throughout some European and US cities, and they're quite pricey. If you're a good self-learner, the class isn't necessary. Perhaps you could get together with peers and do your own thing.

Pretty much, the books are self-explanatory but don't let their simplicity fool you...they are fodder for deep, organized thinking...even if you're not an "organized" type of person.

Score is a good program, so long as you get connected with a good mentor. In my case, I was not be able to match a mentor from my business sector and it was difficult to get a concise battle plan figured out. But now that I've been in business long enough, that wouldn't matter since I now know what questions to ask.

I'm not sure what materials Score mentors use, but any seasoned business person worth their salt should be able to quickly guide you though the book if you need assistance.

In a nutshell, it all begins with a good business plan and the book is very helpful in that respect. If you haven't noticed yet, their method of business planning is very tactile. It involves writing, and perhaps a bit of sketching. I believe there are computer templates for the "canvas", but there's something magical about using pen and paper.

JB