• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something has changed

Marlene

I wonder often how much of the undesired behavior is related to the recession. Its been very rough for a lot of people since late 2008.

the stress levels of so many are at an all time high. people have always had stress in their lives but it seems like it is all of us, not just a few. when you put that many people together, there will to be some who will just blow up at the least little thing. I know I'll be flipping thru the channels and will see some dog wearing a diamond collar with it's owner complaining as it isn't as big as she thought it would be or the leather isn't the right shade of pink to match her sress and I just want to reach thru the screen and punch her and her stupid dog. I blew up at a check out person because I pulled off the $1 off coupon and handed it to her and she told me she had to pull it off so it was no good. I shoved the item back at her, told her to keep it and it just felt so stupid. I pulled it off in front of her and handed it to her, who cares who pulled what, it wasn't like I did it beind her back all sneaky like...yep, stress, stress can make you really hate a 18 year old check out girl when normally, it wouldn't matter. so you take a pile of people living under personal stress and what we see on the news, add a newbie who wants to "cut some vynil stickers" and it will go badly.

Jillbeans

Marlene, not to defend the check out girl but she may have gotten reamed out by her boss for not following procedure.
Lord knows I get it on a daily basis since I had to get a "real" job last year.
I wish it was not unethical to post a photo of my newest competition's biz sign.

CES020

Oh, I don't know Marlene. I think you can track down the issues being talked about to less than 10 people total. If you read what most of those 10 people post, all you see is how successful they are and how business is booming. I think there certainly is a lot of stress out there, but overall, I think the vast amount of people here deal with it well. No matter how bad their day is going, they log in, and offer up free, helpful advice to those seeking advice. I think that's really a great testimony of just how great 99.9% of the people here really are.

Personally, I miss Jon Aston and Dan Antonelli a great deal. While I didn't have many conversations with either, I went to every link they posted and read everything they wrote. Jon's tips to various articles on the internet were real gems. Most of them I still have bookmarked today, and a number of them I visit every day. Those two alone have helped me develop in this business more than anyone else I can name, and all through postings they made, that they probably never knew I read, or that I even existed for that matter.

geb

I think we are a divided society right now, the world is and has changed in my opinion, many not for the better.

On a positive note, I think the sites moderator(s) has and does a [great/B] job, and I value the opinion of all members, the industry is lucky to have the opportunity to come here and learn, meet, purchase, identify, problem solve, share, find, laugh, cry, research and much more.

ucjm22, you sound like a good joe although I don't know you, I've been sooo busy spending my signs101 fantasy football championship money that I don't get on as frequently daily as I like, and life has changed also a little, so I don't follow some of the edgier threads, but I think there is alot of positive to take away from being here and I'm happy to be a premium subscriber here at signs101 and I'm glad you are too brother.

George

Dan Antonelli

My .02, devalued of course....
Dan's post is very valid, although it still had repercussions and attacks on another "lettering" site even though most everyones avatar IS their face. Not another to drag Jill in, but she knows of this to be true.

Can you elaborate on what you are referencing here? Sorry - did I miss something?

Dan Antonelli

Personally, I miss Jon Aston and Dan Antonelli a great deal. While I didn't have many conversations with either, I went to every link they posted and read everything they wrote. Jon's tips to various articles on the internet were real gems. Most of them I still have bookmarked today, and a number of them I visit every day. Those two alone have helped me develop in this business more than anyone else I can name, and all through postings they made, that they probably never knew I read, or that I even existed for that matter.

Wow, well that's an awfully nice thing to say. I must say that comments like that do mean a lot.

I tend to find the overwhelming negativity and hostility that seems to pervade most posts a bit disturbing, and sad on some level. And frankly, yeh, that has truly kept me off posts, and I'm not participating nearly as much as maybe I used to.

Sometimes I think lines are crossed in the manner in which we deliver feedback. There's a way to do it without exerting your own superiority (whether that would be real or imagined). And there are many who use any opportunity they can to put someone else down so that they might feel better about themselves.

Perhaps either I've matured, or maybe because I manage 15 or so people, I've learned that there's more to be gained by encouraging and elevating the people around me, and instilling confidence, than highlighting their flaws and putting them down. I still believe there's much to learn to from one another, regardless of levels.

Like I said in my post a year ago, if the dude who posted that brush-script-laced logo was sitting across from you at a restaurant sharing a beer, would you say the same thing to them then that you just posted here?

I don't know the answers, but I do know that I strive to provide honest feedback with respect. Maybe because I remember that there was a time when I was that newbie without a clue. And maybe because I remember when the first sign shop I tried to get a job at laughed at my work and sent me packing.