• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Something I never thought much about, until today...........................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How many purchase 1/4" [6mil] aluminum composite in solid core form vs. corrugated core form ??

Did you know there was a substantial difference ??

Other than price, which need not be discussed to keep it private, but how about the properties of the two materials, regardless of whose brand it is ??

I'd be very interested in opinions or fact.

:thankyou:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I very much prefer Dibond or Poly Metal. The couple of times I've used AlumaCor it was with edge caps. Other installs I've seen without it, it seemed like a magnet for mold and algae in the flutes.

Billct2

Almost always the solid. The coroflutes dent easier and look nasty when cut to a shape.
What I really want is a 1/2" & 3/4" version of the solid core.

Craig Sjoquist

This year I switched, mainly case of cost at 1st, but now find the solid core is better, & yes it does come in thicker sizes but cost jumps, & not had the opportunity to test.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, has anyone done any comparisons of solid core vs. corrugated core ??

The statistics are kinda amazing.

rjssigns

Used corrugated core once. Never again. Only use DiBond or Omega. Most things we do are single sided so DiBond randoms work well.

skyhigh

So, has anyone done any comparisons of solid core vs. corrugated core ??
The statistics are kinda amazing.

On pins and needles here.....ok not really.
(I am however, humming the tune from Jeopardy while I wait).

I use the solid core 99.95% of the time. I really like the 6mm, and its only about 25% more.
I just ordered 4 sheets today.

Had problems with the corrugated version de-laminating.
The cheap "econopanel" will always do that. The "Alumapanel" seems quite a bit better....and a whole lot more$

Mosh

I use solid. The other gets damaged so easily. I use 1/8 for 90% but keep a couple sheets of 1/4" in stock. Don't miss dinged up edges at all. The best part is the 1/8 I can run though the shear.....

RyanFelty

We used to use solid core for 4x6 signs we do a ton of but realized that the corrugated is a lot lighter and does not warp as bad. These signs are in high wind areas and the solid core would begin to bend. I do not like the corrugated look ic the edges are highly visible but for our 4x6 double post signs it is by far the best material. We have use it for signs for the buildings and interiors but we cap the edges so the corrugation isn't visible.

stoliker

Anything over 2' by 3' we use alumilite. Dibond for smaller stuff. We have slo found that the dibond will warp in larger sizes.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, I always thought the solid core was a better product, therefore more money and bought the corrugated to save on money. Turns out I was totally bassackwards. The corrugated costs more by quite a bit. It's also much much stronger in a 4' x 8' down to 4' x 4' situation. In other words, the corrugated will hold up to I believe he said 120 mph winds, where the solid core is rated around 50 mph winds. Now, I don't know if this differs from manufacturer to manufacturer, but this is quite interesting. So, if you're installing a 4' x 8' between 2 uprights, the corrugated core will withstand up to 120 mph without any extra support, where with the solid core, it is advised, to put a beam across the top and also the bottom if you can do it.

So, many of you here are saying the opposite of this. You're saying the solid is stronger and a better product. I'm not sold either way, yet, but for carrying around the shop to put on printers and load into trucks for installation.... the solid core is a frickin' bear to work with. I won't handle a sheet by myself, I want help, but then, that's what the others are here for. However, in a pinch, it could make a difference. :rolleyes:

FatCat

I personally use the solid core (Grimco Max-Metal) 99% of the time. Along with cheaper price, I feel it is easier to work with, and not having to use edge caps is really nice. However, I would NEVER string a 4x8 3mm across a pair of posts hoping it would stay there without some extra bracing. However, for flat-wall installs both 3mm and 6mm works wonderful with nothing but screws and washers.

Can't say I'm totally surprised by the findings. When you pick up a sheet of 1/2" alumalite there is virtually no give - do that with 3mm poly-metal and you can flap it like a bird's wing. Even the 6mm doesn't seem as rigid, though I will say I've never had the 6mm fail in any install I've done with it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I personally use the solid core (Grimco Max-Metal) 99% of the time. Along with cheaper price, I feel it is easier to work with, and not having to use edge caps is really nice. However, I would NEVER string a 4x8 3mm across a pair of posts hoping it would stay there without some extra bracing. However, for flat-wall installs both 3mm and 6mm works wonderful with nothing but screws and washers.

Can't say I'm totally surprised by the findings. When you pick up a sheet of 1/2" alumalite there is virtually no give - do that with 3mm poly-metal and you can flap it like a bird's wing. Even the 6mm doesn't seem as rigid, though I will say I've never had the 6mm fail in any install I've done with it.

I've been discussing 6 mil the whole time, not 3mil.

John Butto

If you put a 4x8 panel, alumilite, solid core, bracing, whatever, on #2 4x4x8 dug in and then put 120mph wind on it. Nine out ten it is going to be blown over, or damaged badly. Unless of course it is just a 5 second wind test, but sustained winds from tornado or hurricane, that is another story.